Drinking? - Treatment Options - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Drinking?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Conjurus

Conjurus

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1839 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:40 AM

Does drinking cause DP? I feel great when I drink. I havnt known about DP long enough to test if alcohol effects it. Anyone else know if it helps or worsens it?

#2 Spike13

Spike13

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland, land of boredom...

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:21 PM

I've noticed that drinking a small amount of alcohol can momentarily help. I think it's because alcohol slows the tought process, so the real question is: are we overthinking? When I'm a bit drunk, if I want to do something I don't waste time in analyzing what the outcome will be...I just do the thing! It allows a more immediate experience of things.

Beware of overdrinking though...loosing balance and feeling nauseated never helped anyone :lol:

#3 taymay

taymay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:37 AM

I think that it depends on the person. When I drink I feel worse, so much more out of control.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

I only recently realized I have dp, as in I looked in the DSM-VI a week ago and haven't even officially seen a doctor about it yet but realized I've had it my entire life. However, I have been struggling to find a way to feel 'normal' for the past ten or so years. Having said that, when I was young I was completely out of control when I drank. A year ago I finally quit drinking for a while so that I could learn how to pace my self and hold on to my reality when I drink. Basically I have found that drinking one or two glasses of wine slowly makes me feel soo much better. Someone said 'over thinking' and yes that is part of it. For me, I feel safe in this somewhat buzzed state. It's like the little person that escape out the back door when I was young comes sneaking back in and I can have a few moments of myself back. It's really freeing. I want to feel this way all the time though, that is the real struggle for me. Hope this is of some use..

#5 Tanith

Tanith

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 385 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

I think that drinking causes temporary DP in the seance that your out of it and feel like "wow its as if im not really here". But for people that don't have DP anyway that temporary seance goes away when you sober up.

Regular Contributor

• Validating
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

i always wondered why alcohol was a depressant and never a REpressant.

#7 Conjurus

Conjurus

• DPSH Members
  • 1839 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

I've pretty much quit drinking. It's not as fun as other things.

Regular Contributor

• Validating
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

hmm, like sharing banana ice cream with the ape at the petting zoo?
i've always wanted to do that.

#9 widescreened

widescreened

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:45 AM

Hi Guys.

Drinking is a disaster for anyone with obsessive or depressive tendancies, as invariably, one or 2 drinks spiral out of control and the amount of self medicating keeps increasing in amount and frequency. You end up in such a dangerous state and for this reason, I would recommend that anyone suffering from any emotional or psychological difficulty should cut it totally from their diet and lifestyle.

#10 Conjurus

Conjurus

• DPSH Members
  • 1839 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:10 AM

I reached a point one day where I drank enough to die from alcohol poisoning and I ended up sleeping with a stranger. (which is completely out of character for me) Wasn't a good night.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:48 AM

Drinking slows down the nervous system of the body and hence gives a temporary feeling of relief from depression. But once the effect of alcohol subsidizes it comes back again. Alcohol should never be consumed by people who are on anti depressants.

#12 IbizaParadise

IbizaParadise

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 76 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:36 AM

well from the first day that my anxiety started i only drank once and that gave me an anxiety attack so i havent been able to drink for few months now..it makes me feel 100 times worse..it just made my heart go crazy and i felt like passing out..and i only drank a glass of wine with my family at this restaurant..i have a very high limit when it gets to alcohol..before my anxiety started i was able to take like 10 shots of tequila..honestly anxiety messed me up :cry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users