Music? - Managing DPD - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Music?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 AlexXD

AlexXD

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:19 PM

I've found that listening to music from my pre-DP life tends to ease the fog slightly... anyone else notice this?

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:29 PM

I haven't really thought about it. But I will give it a try. Thanks for the great suggestion.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:09 PM

I've been trying to figure out if this thing I am in is the same numbness I read here. I guess this gives me my answer as I was just thinking how the only time I feel...different...or anything, is with the music I used to love.

Regular Contributor

• Validating
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:37 PM

I haven't been here for a long time, not that I ever posted here much.

I DJ'd and wrote music for a living before my DR came on 5 years back. Today, I got a message from another DJ / Producer who also has DP / DR. He's had it longer than me. There are differences. He says he never found the DP / DR affected his music production although DJing is really hard. He still goes off around the country and to other countries DJing, which is amazing to me.

My experience was completely different though. After 6 months of DR I couldn't get excited about new music anymore. This might have been because I realised I couldn't cope with DJing, that I was going to loose my main source of income and so I had to write more tunes. This didn't work, I put all my effort into tunes and they mostly came out a bit weird, sometimes really crazy. It completely affected music for me. I even stopped listening to all music at home. When I did listen, it was to old music that I used to love and I found that I still did. Also, though, I found that old music that I hadn't heard before could be really good to me. Weird, huh?

Now, my DR has backed off a bit, I don't have it really bad like I used to although it's still 24/7. I've found a new style of music that mimics an old style of music and I can get along with it just fine when I'm really focussed. I'm writing music again, and have even had stuff released.

So, In a nutshell, yes I totally understand what you are saying. For some people DP/DR can affect their taste in music so that they only like old music that they used to listen to before they got ill and it can make you feel a little bit like your old self again too. Do bear in mind though, that a lot of today's music is utter pants anyway, so is it really surprising :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

#5 Cathal_08

Cathal_08

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 147 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:03 PM

yes musis is the one thing that helps me through this, before i got it music was my favorite thing in the world!!!
unfortunately DP affects my abililty to playing any instuments which sucks but i love music :D
we should set up somwere that we can just talk about and share are interest in music!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:49 PM

Nothing better for DP DR than music. Clear jah mind.

#7 peachy

peachy

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:19 PM

i've found that the new coldplay cd, viva la vida, is exceptionally good at pulling you out of fog. give it a try.

#8 hurricane12

hurricane12

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 445 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:55 PM

how can you guys listen to music my i hear everything low and i cant really get into the feeling of the music.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 06:50 PM

Yea I found that music did same thing to me

#10 peachy

peachy

• DPSH Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:18 PM

i think you have to meet music halfway with this one. if you're completely stuck in a fog and part of you isn't ready to come out, then obviously music isn't going to do a shit thing. but if you are willing to take a step out and start living your life, music can be an extra nice boost that really seems to help.

• Validating
  • 822 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:41 PM

I have a massive music appreciation, but I find that because i live in my headso much, it takes me places, far aaaaway! Usually this is a good thing, but when you are dp'd all you want is reality again so i hate living in my head more.

Love the shins though....and Mazzy star....Ooooh and the verve - bittersweet symphony, dp or no dp that song always uplifts me

#12 peachy

peachy

• DPSH Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:44 PM

omg my very favorite band is the shins. and bittersweet symphony, i have no words to explain that song, very good one indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users