How to find what is causing it. Janine, are you there? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

How to find what is causing it. Janine, are you there?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 05:10 PM

Janine posted a great reply on May 17 to the question of how to deal with the causes and let the brain re-adjust. It was basically about looking at areas of our lives that aren't right and trying to change them including how we face the world. I follow that entirely but Janine can you be more explicit about how we go about it assuming we do not go to a therapist. I have some years ago undergone psychoanalysis for 2 separate periods. Each time within a matter of less than 6 months I cracked up as it created huge anxiety that I couldn't control and each time I had a breakdown lasting over a year. The general feeling was don't try again, I obviously can't take it. So how do we go about not only examining these areas of our lives and attitudes etc. but somehow trying to put them right? Is there anything in your books about it? Incidentally I can't get hold of your books living in UK. If anyone from UK knows a way to do it please let me know. I tried Amazon but it didn't work. One last question: can a therapist help with the self-study process or does this in effect amount to psychoananlysis. If so then I guess there's nothing I can do. :?:

#2 Guest_Janinebaker_*

Guest_Janinebaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2004 - 06:02 PM

Yes, indeed, psychoanalysis will definitely bring up massive anxiety at first. That's 'normal' and sometimes people cannot handle it without decompensating a bit.

But there are other forms of therapy nowhere near as threatening that might help you. You might try a "psychoanalytic-based form of psychotherapy" often done by someone who is an analyst, but it's not analysis, no laying down, not total free association (that can make a person 'drift off' into one's own mind too intensely and can promote a very serious regression, as it sounds like you know too well)

The thing is I really do not know how to advise finding causes, etc. without working with a therapist, but don't give up. The key is that you want to learn about YOU and there are all kinds of ways that can help (writing in a journal, talking to others, talking into a tape recorder, etc...things that help you learn more about how your own mind works)

The key to therapy though is the Relationship between you and the therapist. That for me was crucial, and produced awareness that I couldn't have ever found on my own.

Peace,
Janine

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Validating
  • 809 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 07:54 PM

Incidentally I can't get hold of your books living in UK. If anyone from UK knows a way to do it please let me know. I tried Amazon but it didn't work.

There's always the ebooks. Not the same as hard copies, of course, but on the positive side, no S&H charges and no waiting 2 or 3 weeks to receive them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users