New brain scan study in depersonalization. - Page 2 - Research - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

New brain scan study in depersonalization.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#13 Mayer-Gross

Mayer-Gross

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:16 AM

Many areas in the prefrontal cortex is active in both normals and in depersonalization. There is no place you can point towards on a brain scan and say: "There is depersonalization". You can make a fMRI scan of people with depression and say that the network and location is likely central in this person. That is because there has been done much more research into depression and there are in reality diffrent kinds of depression and you know what to look for. When professional researchers have a problem finding central locations and networks in depersonalization how can you get the idea that the it can be done in one person. 

#14 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:44 AM

Many areas in the prefrontal cortex is active in both normals and in depersonalization. There is no place you can point towards on a brain scan and say: "There is depersonalization". You can make a fMRI scan of people with depression and say that the network and location is likely central in this person. That is because there has been done much more research into depression and there are in reality diffrent kinds of depression and you know what to look for. When professional researchers have a problem finding central locations and networks in depersonalization how can you get the idea that the it can be done in one person.

for example im considering doing deep tms to dorsomedial pfc and anterior cingulate. but why i should do it, if its not overactive? i have to know if the areas i want to do stimulate are really overactive. at the other hand, i could figure out if i have similar activities as in depression. you just said in depression its possible.

#15 Mayer-Gross

Mayer-Gross

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:55 AM

Many problems related to that. There are some indication that area is overactive. In OCD you stimulate is more with higher frequencies but that not be the case in in depersonalization. You might have to make a inhibition with low frequencies. There is also some structural scan that points towards the left dorsomedial prefrontal cortex is larger that the right -more active so it seems there are also some asymmetries. But, high frequency can have some paradoxal effect in some areas where a overactive area becomes normal by high frequency stimulation. But, it is a experiment as it have never been tried.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users