Coming on here daily is detrimental to recovery - Page 3 - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Coming on here daily is detrimental to recovery

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#25 jeffg925

jeffg925

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:00 AM

I know we all appreciate the site for what it is and what it's done for us, but please guys. PLEASE. This place can turn into a trap. You are attached to the comfort it brings, but it's also causing you to focus on your DP/DR way more than you have to or should. This becomes a cycle and is very hard to break when you get locked into it. I needed to wean myself off of here like a heroin addict years ago. Now whenever I come back I start to hyperfocus again and can feel my symptoms popping back in despite not really suffering from them in day to day life. Seriously consider limiting the time you spend here. Don't let it become too much of a safety net. Put focus on bettering yourself and figuring out medications or therapys that can beneficial.

This is good advice. I'm just starting out on my DPDR recovery and worried I will use this website as a crutch, which I probably will. The anxiety I feel is so great, I seek reassurance in anyway possible. And this seems to be the best way, as this community is focused on this very issue.

I'm not sure how to balance coming here to learn/get support, and soothing, but also not becoming addicted to it. It seems like it will unfold how it needs to unfold, but perhaps that's just my religious background coming into play.

Do you have any advice for someone in my situation on top of what you've already posted? Something along the lines of how to find a balance between coming on here for soothing, which is why it becomes addictive, vs. how to learn to cope with DPDR? 

#26 lost235

lost235

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 01:24 PM

This is good advice. I'm just starting out on my DPDR recovery and worried I will use this website as a crutch, which I probably will. The anxiety I feel is so great, I seek reassurance in anyway possible. And this seems to be the best way, as this community is focused on this very issue.

I'm not sure how to balance coming here to learn/get support, and soothing, but also not becoming addicted to it. It seems like it will unfold how it needs to unfold, but perhaps that's just my religious background coming into play.

Do you have any advice for someone in my situation on top of what you've already posted? Something along the lines of how to find a balance between coming on here for soothing, which is why it becomes addictive, vs. how to learn to cope with DPDR?

One thing I’ve done to not go on here as much is to put a limit on this website of how much time I can spend on it. If you have an iPhone anyways you just go into the settings then screen time and then put a limit on this particular site. I usually put like 30 minutes per day. This helps me to not spend a wasteful amount of time on here, because I know there’s a limit.
I’ve struggled a lot to stay off this forum, a while I really was kind of “addicted to it”. I would go on here every 30 minutes to see if someone had posted something new. To get away from that I just sort of told myself “okay first I’ll do this [something else], then I can go onto the forum”. Mind you this is when I really held onto it as a security blanket, it’s not necessary at all anymore. Hope this helps somewhat!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users