Coming on here daily is detrimental to recovery - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Coming on here daily is detrimental to recovery

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 freezeup

freezeup

Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 08:42 PM

I know we all appreciate the site for what it is and what it's done for us, but please guys. PLEASE. This place can turn into a trap. You are attached to the comfort it brings, but it's also causing you to focus on your DP/DR way more than you have to or should. This becomes a cycle and is very hard to break when you get locked into it. I needed to wean myself off of here like a heroin addict years ago. Now whenever I come back I start to hyperfocus again and can feel my symptoms popping back in despite not really suffering from them in day to day life. Seriously consider limiting the time you spend here. Don't let it become too much of a safety net. Put focus on bettering yourself and figuring out medications or therapys that can beneficial.

#2 yuri

yuri

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 01:34 PM

There are different pats to recovery. Glad you found yours. The "not focusing on DpDr" way never worked for me. Other things has made me better.

#3 lost235

lost235

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 03:28 PM

I understand what you mean, but I’ll have to say I don’t agree entirely. Like the person above said there are different ways to recovery and it’s just about finding what works for you. To me personally this forum isn’t building onto my dpdr nor making it stay. It’s helping me a bunch to feel less alone and there are great people here who’s given me plenty of tips on how to deal with it. But I do agree that this forum should in no way be some sort of security blanket to hold onto. I would say find whatever works for you and stick with that. If going on this forum every once in a while/daily helps then there’s no reason to cut it out.

#4 yuri

yuri

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 04:12 PM

I understand what you mean, but I’ll have to say I don’t agree entirely. Like the person above said there are different ways to recovery and it’s just about finding what works for you. To me personally this forum isn’t building onto my dpdr nor making it stay. It’s helping me a bunch to feel less alone and there are great people here who’s given me plenty of tips on how to deal with it. But I do agree that this forum should in no way be some sort of security blanket to hold onto. I would say find whatever works for you and stick with that. If going on this forum every once in a while/daily helps then there’s no reason to cut it out.

This is a forum helps me understand what Im dealing with. It is hard to understand when your not in connectin with yourself what is happening. Knowledge for me has be one of the keys to start getting better.

#5 lost235

lost235

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 04:37 PM

This is a forum helps me understand what Im dealing with. It is hard to understand when your not in connectin with yourself what is happening. Knowledge for me has be one of the keys to start getting better.

Completely agree!

#6 Aridity

Aridity

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:34 PM

There are different pats to recovery. Glad you found yours. The "not focusing on DpDr" way never worked for me. Other things has made me better.

It sure doesn't do it any good either. I can asure you that

#7 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1335 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 24 December 2020 - 06:41 AM

"I know we all appreciate the site for what it is and what it's done for us". 

Do you have a mouse in your pocket? lol

#8 freezeup

freezeup

Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 07:15 PM

Completely agree!

You will understand once you recover from DP. You are giving into a cycle of anxious thinking. It's the similar as googling health related issues when having panic attacks. It's like "hitting yourself in the head with a hammer because you have a headache" as they say in AA lol

The constant need to seek comfort is so bad. Ask anyone who's had this and recovered 99% of them will tell you the same thing. I mean be honest, after a month or two you've read every bit of information. What more could you understand? After that comes implementing those ideas and strategies. I'm not saying this to be a dick, its just something that has been proven time and time again.

#9 yuri

yuri

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 10:39 AM

You will understand once you recover from DP. You are giving into a cycle of anxious thinking. It's the similar as googling health related issues when having panic attacks. It's like "hitting yourself in the head with a hammer because you have a headache" as they say in AA lol

The constant need to seek comfort is so bad. Ask anyone who's had this and recovered 99% of them will tell you the same thing. I mean be honest, after a month or two you've read every bit of information. What more could you understand? After that comes implementing those ideas and strategies. I'm not saying this to be a dick, its just something that has been proven time and time again.

I dont understand people who push their own path as the truth. Really you need to go out of you box. I have become better on a totaly different path. Others will as well. All people doesnt work the same as you. You found your way, good. Dont push it to be true to every other person. Maybe we dont use the forum the way you did?

#10 yuri

yuri

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 10:40 AM

It sure doesn't do it any good either. I can asure you that

For you maybe. I needed to focus on it to learn my path to recovery.

#11 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 01:21 PM

I dont understand people who push their own path as the truth. Really you need to go out of you box. I have become better on a totaly different path. Others will as well. All people doesnt work the same as you. You found your way, good. Dont push it to be true to every other person. Maybe we dont use the forum the way you did?

well, all people doesnt work the same as you, as well. and you are speaking also, only for yourself. maybe someone will read this, who needs to go off, of this forum to recover. so why do you say to someone, what they have to do? this forum is not only for you. if you think this doesnt applie to you, then make your own opinion. but do not „say what to do“. this is not a private conversation between you and freeze. its for everybody here.

#12 yuri

yuri

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 03:00 PM

well, all people doesnt work the same as you, as well. and you are speaking also, only for yourself. maybe someone will read this, who needs to go off, of this forum to recover. so why do you say to someone, what they have to do? this forum is not only for you. if you think this doesnt applie to you, then make your own opinion. but do not „say what to do“. this is not a private conversation between you and freeze. its for everybody here.

You misread my post enormesly. I dont even know what to answer you. Read it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users