Difference in DPDR cases where medication has helped vs not - Research - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Difference in DPDR cases where medication has helped vs not

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Findmywayhome

Findmywayhome

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 03:51 PM

I may have put this on the wrong section. I am not contributing research but rather asking a question. I apologize to the moderators if this is the wrong category lol. 

I've read a post that virtually every case of DPDR has the exact same neurological underpinning. I wonder, how could this be true if some treatments work for some people while others don't? Perhaps I am looking at this too simplistically. Perhaps just because their is a homologous neurological representation of the disorder doesn't explain that the brain will respond to treatments the same way. I don't know.

I am aware that there are no approved medications for treating DPDR. However, I have read countless cases where SSRI's, opiate antagonists, and other pharmaceuticals have drastically improved or even cured the DPDR itself. 

I'm inquiring if anyone knows if there is any scientific knowledge on how medication- specifically SSRI's, can treat some cases of DPDR where in other cases it doesn't do anything.

#2 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:10 PM

I may have put this on the wrong section. I am not contributing research but rather asking a question. I apologize to the moderators if this is the wrong category lol.

I've read a post that virtually every case of DPDR has the exact same neurological underpinning. I wonder, how could this be true if some treatments work for some people while others don't? Perhaps I am looking at this too simplistically. Perhaps just because their is a homologous neurological representation of the disorder doesn't explain that the brain will respond to treatments the same way. I don't know.

I am aware that there are no approved medications for treating DPDR. However, I have read countless cases where SSRI's, opiate antagonists, and other pharmaceuticals have drastically improved or even cured the DPDR itself.

I'm inquiring if anyone knows if there is any scientific knowledge on how medication- specifically SSRI's, can treat some cases of DPDR where in other cases it doesn't do anything.

i think its about the underlying issue and whats causing the dpdr. for example if someone takes a ssri and his dp improves, then (one of) the cause(s) should be depression.

and for those i think who dont benefit from meds, these are the dpdr cases in its primariest form.

#3 Findmywayhome

Findmywayhome

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:33 PM

i think its about the underlying issue and whats causing the dpdr. for example if someone takes a ssri and his dp improves, then (one of) the cause(s) should be depression.

and for those i think who dont benefit from meds, these are the dpdr cases in its primariest form.

Right. That definitely makes sense. I guess that would be more or less classified as secondary DP then. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users