School - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

School

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 lost235

lost235

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:01 PM

Hi. I know I said I would stop posting on this forum, but I could really use some tips/advice.

I’m really trying to do better in life, as dpdr has made everything fall apart. The major thing that has been affected is school and my education. I have a super hard time getting myself to school, which has lead me to stop talking to my friends and also not getting everything I need from classes to get good grades.

Now I really really really want to be able to go to school, but I’m scared to death. I’m so scared that I’ll have a “dpdr attack” where I feel a total loss of control and understanding of what’s happening around me. I know exactly how it’ll go and how hard it will be, it terrifies me. But I’m only 17, and I have to get education, I want to be able to go to school.

Does anyone have any tips to get myself to school? The whole idea of going in, and having to face my classmates and the intense feeling of dpdr, it’s just too much for me:(

I need something to cling onto when I’m at school so I don’t have a full on panic attack. I’d be so grateful for any tips! Something to calm me down when I feel like I’m gonna break at any point.

#2 zigman

zigman

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:32 PM

Hey, I’m 17 too and I know how it feels. You just gotta live through it, remember that even if this feeling is shitty, you will still make it and come out even better and more alive than before. If it makes you feel better, connect with people. Talk to your teachers, friends, or text/call someone on the phone. Eventually the feeling won’t be so strong and you wil be able to recover. Practice breathing techniques and keep in mind that school isn’t something very serious, you just gotta test yourself and learn at your own space. If you feel stressed - take a break, watch a movie. You will pull out of this eventually, trust me.

#3 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1331 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:25 PM

I remember having to leave the classroom and go to the men's room for a few minutes.  It might happen a few times every school week.

The fear was just unmanageable, and I was never really able to adjust to it.  It never got old.  Somehow I managed to finish my last year

and a half of high school.  My grades plummeted from top 1/10th to barely a B student. 40 years later I got an EEG which showed I had

been suffering from an epileptic syndrome.  My dp/dr attacks were focal temporal lobe seizures. Wish I had known that earlier.

#4 lost235

lost235

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 04:34 PM

Hey, I’m 17 too and I know how it feels. You just gotta live through it, remember that even if this feeling is shitty, you will still make it and come out even better and more alive than before. If it makes you feel better, connect with people. Talk to your teachers, friends, or text/call someone on the phone. Eventually the feeling won’t be so strong and you wil be able to recover. Practice breathing techniques and keep in mind that school isn’t something very serious, you just gotta test yourself and learn at your own space. If you feel stressed - take a break, watch a movie. You will pull out of this eventually, trust me.

Thanks! This was honestly the best answer I could get lol. I’ll try and get myself to go to school tomorrow, hopefully it’ll go well now that I’ve got some tips:) appreciate it a lot!

#5 zigman

zigman

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 05:06 AM

Remember, don’t get upset or disappointed if the feeling persists for a week or a month right after I told you my tips. You have to live your life like DP isn’t here, despite it seeming impossible. As long as you keep up that mindset, you will help your brain adapt to your surroundings and put you less and less out of this “extreme” feeling.

#6 lost235

lost235

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:14 PM

Remember, don’t get upset or disappointed if the feeling persists for a week or a month right after I told you my tips. You have to live your life like DP isn’t here, despite it seeming impossible. As long as you keep up that mindset, you will help your brain adapt to your surroundings and put you less and less out of this “extreme” feeling.

Hi! Yeah I’ve totally understood by now that there’s no use getting your hopes up too much lol. Update: I went to school and it was like the worst day ever, pure torture. But at least I did it! Tried to think about what people have told me on here, it helped a ton even though I felt like shit. Still thank you so much:)

#7 zigman

zigman

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 04:36 AM

I don’t enjoy school either, but returning home after a hard day of work helps me relax and feel better.

#8 lost235

lost235

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 04:43 AM

I don’t enjoy school either, but returning home after a hard day of work helps me relax and feel better.

Oh yeah that kind of the weird part about this day. 3 hours of school was just misery for me, but the second I got into the car I felt great. I would even say that the dpdr disappeared for an hour or so, super strange. I think that’s just a proof that this is anxiety and nothing else. I feel so unsafe and anxious and scared in school, no wonder the dpdr goes up like crazy. Then I get into the car and suddenly the “danger is over”, that’s when I feel great. Ngl tho I’m gonna look into meds or something for this anxiety, because I don’t think it’s normal feeling THAT bad going into school.

#9 zigman

zigman

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 05:10 AM

Oh, I see. I once recovered from my DPD without any meds, I just took care of the anxiety in a natural way. Whenever my anxiety started to rise I would just start to think more and more about that specific thought until I don’t feel anxious about it, basically begging for anxiety on purpose. Managing your breathing also helps. If you really believe meds will help you then you can go for it, but just be careful with them, don’t get addicted or anything. Stay healthy! 😄

#10 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 05:15 AM

Oh, I see. I once recovered from my DPD without any meds, I just took care of the anxiety in a natural way. Whenever my anxiety started to rise I would just start to think more and more about that specific thought until I don’t feel anxious about it, basically begging for anxiety on purpose. Managing your breathing also helps. If you really believe meds will help you then you can go for it, but just be careful with them, don’t get addicted or anything. Stay healthy! 😄

wow youre so positive. great! i love positive people with this disorder.

#11 lost235

lost235

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 06:30 AM

You know what, I’ve actually decided to not take any meds! I haven’t spoken to my psychiatrist or anything about it yet, but I do want to take care of this anxiety as much as I can myself. I’m not gonna lie I’m a bit scared of meds seeing how much they can change you and affect you, so I would prefer it if I didn’t have to go that way. Then it’s also terrifying that I’d have to get off them after a while, what if that goes total shit? Idk I’m just trying to be careful like you said:) thanks a lot for the positive response!
Although I don’t think “thinking more and more about the anxiety” will help me that much, that’s sort of what I’m struggling with. I keep obsessing over the feeling so the feeling gets more and more intense. But we’re all different, I’m glad it worked for you! Wishing you all the best:)

#12 zigman

zigman

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 December 2020 - 11:13 AM

Oh, I did not mean to obsess over it, simply face the anxiety and just let all of it out, think questions like. “How bad is my anxiety?” “How likely is this and that going to happen?” “Do I really believe all of this?” And so on, thus making your thoughts seem like a lesser deal. This method helped me a lot and all the best wishes to you back!:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users