Changes in hearing - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Changes in hearing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zpgrimm

Zpgrimm

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:34 PM

Hello All,

Does anyone ever have changes in hearing as part of their DP/DR? I have suffered chronically with DP/DR since the age of 19 and I am currently 35 now. I have had long periods where most of my symptoms disappear, but I am currently having problems hearing loud noises. I know it sounds, strange, I can hear quiet noises but things that are loud don't seem to be loud (I know it doesn't make sense) I feel like I could go to a rock concert and say "I can hear everything clearly, but its not loud".

Thanks,

Zach

#2 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:44 PM

that could be a ear problem rather than dpdr. check your ears

#3 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:44 PM

maybe its the opposite of hypoacusis

#4 Zpgrimm

Zpgrimm

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 04:59 PM

I have had my ears checked many times and they always say I have perfect hearing. I even looked in "hidden hearing loss" and tried out hearing aids (They didn't help). I can hear most if not all of what people are saying, but nothing seems loud.

#5 Broken

Broken

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 810 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:47 PM

I've had the same issue in a strange kind of way.. had hearing tests as well and nothing wrong. I think it is part of dissociation for me, I dont know what triggers it but especially speech I have a hard time if its in my peripherals. I really have to focus on someone right in front of me to know what they are saying but around me I cant decipher any thing, it may as well be white noise

#6 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1313 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 18 November 2020 - 07:42 PM

I had tinnitus for a few decades.  I may still have it to a lesser degree.  I don't have anything to compare it to, because I no longer remember what normal was.

The tinnitus is similar to Eustachian tube dysfunction. I get a lot of popping and clicking in my ears.  When I discovered that my experience with dp/dr, depression and anxiety

were a function of an epileptic syndrome, I also learned that a rare form of tinnitus could also be a symptom of this epileptic syndrome. This tinnitus is caused by abhorrent electoral

signals in the brain that cause mechanical movement of the components of the inner ear.  Supposedly, this noise can be heard externally with special instruments.

I never had it established as fact, but I do believe this to have been the explanation for my tinnitus. So, tinnitus can be mechanical but is usually neurological.

Because of my personal experience with neuro-psychiatric illness, I usually recommend anyone with significant symptoms to get an EEG.  For over 40 years, I received medical care

from several primary care physicians, psychologists, a neurologist, , and half dozen psychiatrists, and no one was able to provide an accurate diagnosis.  No one

thought my symptoms were severe enough to recommend an EEG.  Not even the neurologist I saw.  When I sorted it out for myself and insisted I have an EEG, the results showed

I had "significant pathology in my dominant temporal lobe consistent with a history of epileptic seizure.".  Then the opinion was that I was disabled.  Well, let that be a lesson to us all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users