Should I try Prozac? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Should I try Prozac?

Help coping medication

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Findmywayhome

Findmywayhome

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:58 PM

Im 16 years old and I got dp/dr 7 weeks ago, since then the symptons have increasingly gotten worse, I think its somewhat related to anxiety/stress/obssesive thoughts, it started after a panic attack. Part of me thinks the primary problem isnt the anxiety though because I went a while without feeling really anxious (but still mildly stressed) and the dp/dr kept increasing. Its pretty severe and debilitating now.

I have a doctors appointment on Tuesday and the only ssri I can be legally prescribed is prozac. Should I take it?

Obviously medication is different for everyone. And I know no one will be able to provide a clear cut answer. I guess im just asking if anyone has had a similar situation and took medication and what their experience is.

Thanks.

#2 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1298 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:10 AM

I suffered depression in conjunction with an epileptic syndrome. My depression featured severe insomnia and anxiety.

I couldn't sleep at all on prozac.  If your primary complaint is anhedonia, I guess Prozac could help. 

I had suffered symptoms of mental illness for 40 years before I asked for an EEG (electroencephalogram).

The EEG showed I had been epileptic for all those years.  I wish I had known that sooner as it could have

made a big difference in my treatment, as well as my understanding of my life and my symptoms.  So,

if there is any doubt about the origins of your symptoms, I would recommend you get it sorted out early.

An EEG is a good way to proceed, IMHO.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Help, coping, medication

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users