Dissociation from mental illness itself? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Dissociation from mental illness itself?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Aha's Shadow

Aha's Shadow

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 05:07 AM

If you have read any of my posts in the past, you may have noticed that I very much struggle with being able to tell what it is I actually believe. One of those things being the question, do I believe I am mentally ill? Which is something I wish I could answer because at least then I would be getting somewhere.

So I've been thinking, could dissociating from mental illness itself be a thing. When I think about the concept, the idea that I am mentally ill; I have no feeling towards it and no clue if it is the right answer to all of the problems I am having. I know that in the real world, mental illness can be the only possible answer...but I'm not sure I'm in the real world which makes it more difficult.

So I guess my question to you guys is. Do you think I could actually believe that I am mentally ill, just be dissociated from mental illness itself? 

#2 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1292 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:11 AM

A mental force applied perpendicular to your mind's original path will cause your mind to accelerate off course. If that's not where you want to go, then I think that mental force

can be seen as pathological.  My perpendicular mental force came in the form of a rare epileptic syndrome, whose "worst case scenario was when the post ictal psychosis segued into an affective disorder

of major depression". Major depression combined with focal temporal lobe seizures gave me many psychiatric symptoms over the course of my adult life of 40 years.

The vast majority of those symptoms resolved with electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), age, and my own resolve.  I no longer experience focal temporal lobe seizures.

I have been depression, anxiety, and psychiatric medication free for almost 7 years. This, after battling major depressive episodes which were epic struggles for survival over a period of 40 years.

All I am left with is an occasional migraine aura, and an EEG which shows the wear and tear of epileptic seizures.. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users