how you can deal with extreme emotional numbness - Page 4 - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

how you can deal with extreme emotional numbness

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#37 Phantasm

Phantasm

Janitor

• Moderators
  • 883 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 October 2020 - 11:04 PM

The first thing is just to be aware you are doing it. Then you can be like, "Oh, I'm 'O'ing, okay, I see that." Then you can take a few deep breathes and let it go. 

This may be all you need to do, depending on how obsessive you are, but otherwise work on it with your therapist. 

#38 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 11:27 PM

The first thing is just to be aware you are doing it. Then you can be like, "Oh, I'm 'O'ing, okay, I see that." Then you can take a few deep breathes and let it go.

This may be all you need to do, depending on how obsessive you are, but otherwise work on it with your therapist.

thank you very much for advices

#39 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1309 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 10 October 2020 - 11:35 AM

As rough as numbness is, there is something far worse.  When I became ill, I lost all positive emotions.  My negative emotions were amplified.  I felt an extremely powerful sense of hopelessness.

The message it sent was My only option was to end my life. I had gnawing anxiety.  Thoughts created physical sensations in my abdomen.  I was nauseous. At times, I couldn't chew or swallow food.

I lost over 15% of my body weight without trying. I had many symptoms that generated constant fear.  I was consumed by sensations of impending doom.  Numbness would have been an upgrade to my symptoms.  I would have given a limb to be only numb.

So, if you are simply numb, then time is likely on your side.   If you are not getting worse, then you are getting better.  Have patience.  The brain has plasticity.  You can grow new emotions to replace those you lost.

It just takes time.  Time is on your side. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users