how you can deal with extreme emotional numbness - Page 3 - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

how you can deal with extreme emotional numbness

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#25 RunToMe

RunToMe

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:38 AM

and why is the less anxiety and somatic symptoms by irreversible mao so important ?

#26 Mayer-Gross

Mayer-Gross

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 577 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:02 AM

and why is the less anxiety and somatic symptoms by irreversible mao so important ?

I didn’t write that less somatic symptoms but more. But, the absence of general anxiety is seen as one marker of a MAOI might be of benefit. Many have anxiety with depression and they do not respond well to a MAOI. 

#27 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:44 AM

I didn’t write that less somatic symptoms but more. But, the absence of general anxiety is seen as one marker of a MAOI might be of benefit. Many have anxiety with depression and they do not respond well to a MAOI.

hey mg, first of all thank you very much for being active here. its a very big gift for me to have someone like you in this forum.

well i readed once you written that you had at the begin slight emotions but after medication it has gone completely.

for me its the same case now, i have slight emotions. sometimes i can feel them even in my body but they are very damped.

but i want to try some medication for mood boosting and maybe not thinking all the time about my symptoms. and optimally reduce dpdr. but im afraid of losing those bit emotions as well..

but i have 2 questions.

1) i had first time dpdr 2011 after bad trip with drugs. but i did recovered fully and from 2015-2020 i was completely symptomfree. so is my outset now 10 years ago? or 10 months ago when i relapsed?

2) which medication i could try first (i know, i want to make rtms/deep tms for ocd as well but i want to wait for the french study. but at the same time i want to handle as early as i can.) should i try a ssri + lamotrigine? or maybe some other?

#28 Mayer-Gross

Mayer-Gross

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 577 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:25 AM

I have tried many medications, especially antidepressants without any effect. The only medicine that briefly took like 30% of my symptoms, especially detachment, within a few hours, was a combination of antidepressant I had taken for several months( duloxetine 60.mg) and clonazepam( rivotril)  2.5 mg. It worked for 6.months then tolerance sat in and it lost it effect. The reason I took this combination was by accident. It was not known that I had depersonalization then, at aripriprazole had just come out and was thought to be a dopamine stabilizer back then. It made me more derealized with a few hours and more anxious so clonazepam was given until aripriprazole was washed out of my system. But it work partially. After I found out it was depersonalization there was written in some texts that antipsychotics could make the symptoms worse in a antipsychotics dose, -it did in me two times. They also wrote that clonazepam in a combination with a antidepressant worked in some, -it did so in me. But, tolerance is a problem with all benzodiazepines and it is difficult to get them prescribed and the effect is not lasting. It makes problems on it own in the long run. The combination of lamotrigine in a dose of 2-300.mg with a antidepressant should be of some benefit in some-like 50%. I have heard stories of people who have had depersonalization before and they could work themselves out of it but then it re-emerged often more worse than the first time and less flexible. This might be a anecdotal impression of mine but there are no systematic studies into it either that can confirm such assumptions to my knowledge. 

But you can try the lamotrigine combination and then rTMS locations later. If angular gyrus works in you (so recent outset, it likely might) you might have to have some maintenance session once a year for a period or it re-emerges after stress. But I think that rTMS might be the treatment in the long run when central locations are isolated and equipped to intervene in them is more available. 

#29 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 01:02 PM

I have heard stories of people who have had depersonalization before and they could work themselves out of it but then it re-emerged often more worse than the first time and less flexible. This might be a anecdotal impression of mine but there are no systematic studies into it either that can confirm such assumptions to my knowledge.

that makes me so hopeless tbh..

#30 Saschasascha

Saschasascha

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 04:28 PM

On the contrary there are many people that get out of it that still have to fight with reemergences but can manage it much better this time.

#31 Mayer-Gross

Mayer-Gross

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 577 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 09 October 2020 - 04:55 PM

“ Dpd diaries”who also have written a book that is not published yet tries to address it in this video. https://www.youtube....XcLB5QuI&t=494s

Depersonalisation is a disorder related to emotional regulation done by the prefrontal cortex with strong connections to anxiety and depression that also are related to emotional regulation. It likely very difficult to set something like that in a universal answer. Like you can have one episode of depression in your life and come over it untreated others might see it get worse or come back in response to stress and experience it as something progressive. There is no research done into to this. But, there is a need for a somatic intervention that can reduce the levels of symptoms. I think that the absence of such makes it a stress factor in many. 

#32 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:55 PM

“ Dpd diaries”who also have written a book that is not published yet tries to address it in this video. https://www.youtube....XcLB5QuI&t=494s

Depersonalisation is a disorder related to emotional regulation done by the prefrontal cortex with strong connections to anxiety and depression that also are related to emotional regulation. It likely very difficult to set something like that in a universal answer. Like you can have one episode of depression in your life and come over it untreated others might see it get worse or come back in response to stress and experience it as something progressive. There is no research done into to this. But, there is a need for a somatic intervention that can reduce the levels of symptoms. I think that the absence of such makes it a stress factor in many.

for me it seems to be a progressive thing. 4-5 months ago i felt different. im already in therapy (DBT) and i even work every day. but still i feel it goes worse. what could i do to stop this.

#33 Phantasm

Phantasm

Janitor

• Moderators
  • 883 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:56 PM

Is that dialectical behavior therapy? So what does that involve? (Last time I read a manual on CBT ten years ago it was just a footnote)

It sounds so mechanical though. Maybe some simple talk therapy or counselling might help too. It appeals to us to move into the medical and technical because that's a safe space with dissociation, but is it real or helpful?

Just thinking aloud. 

#34 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:13 PM

Is that dialectical behavior therapy? So what does that involve? (Last time I read a manual on CBT ten years ago it was just a footnote)

It sounds so mechanical though. Maybe some simple talk therapy or counselling might help too. It appeals to us to move into the medical and technical because that's a safe space with dissociation, but is it real or helpful?

Just thinking aloud.

yes its that.

i dont know what to do. i should try medication i think. its not only about cure or full recovery. there should be a way to live with less quality but LIVE. im so desperate it changes my personality. im so powerless. so empty.

sometimes i think:“at least i dont got a blank mind or cognitive issues“ but then i think what if this go to there? what if it will go everyday worse. im not sure if its like that but i feel changes. and thats a big sign for going worse.

edit: dbt is a special therapy for suicidal borderline patients

#35 Phantasm

Phantasm

Janitor

• Moderators
  • 883 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:19 PM

It sounds like you're panicking and spiraling in a loop.

Have you heard of "pure O"?

It's a type of OCD that's purely mental.

#36 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 10:52 PM

It sounds like you're panicking and spiraling in a loop.

Have you heard of "pure O"?

It's a type of OCD that's purely mental.

okay how can i fix this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users