Still cured...and bringing you a book recommendation! - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Still cured...and bringing you a book recommendation!

cured recovery you can heal! dpdr derealization depersonalization

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 freeyourself

freeyourself

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 02:14 PM

Hey guys,

I want to remind you all that DPDR is absolutely, completely curable. It'll involve rejecting your scary thoughts in ways you've never been brave enough to do before, but it is completely worth it.

I'm a girl in my 20s... this condition once dominated my entire life, but I've been completely cured and symptom-free for years. I intuitively worked out how to rewire my subconscious mind, having a background in science, and I managed to snap myself out of the illusion permanently.

I am now totally immune, but my close friend has been dealing with chronic DPDR for months and came to me for help. In an attempt to find resources for him (he wanted professional content to really calm his fears), I read 5 books and also bought Shaun O'Connor's material.

To be completely honest, I feel like a lot of DPDR recovery content is useful but falls short at giving sufferers what they really need, which is more than just the practical tips. Due to the nature of the condition, you'll need every last scrap of information out there to quell your worries.

This book called Exit The Dream is the absolute best bit of material I've ever read. I seriously recommend you checking it out... it's written by a neuroscientist who truly understands DPDR unlike anyone else I've ever come across. Teaches you precisely how to rewire your brain, in addition to explaining why this can't be a brain tumour/schizophrenia, the exact personality traits that let you develop DPDR, how to use this disposition to your benefit (i.e. rechannel your obsession, not try and suppress it)... so, so fascinating.

In addition to telling you about this book, I wanted to let you know that you will taste true emotional freedom again. If you commit to getting over this illusion, you will achieve your dreams.

Those aren't empty words wink.png

Take care! 

#2 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:52 PM

dpdr as a symptom of anxiety or depression is curable yes. but depersonalization disorder is not the same thing. and dpd is very hard to treat.

#3 badsidejoe

badsidejoe

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 04:35 PM

Sounds like an ad;). Is it really worth its' money? Did it contribute to your recovery?
Glad you're doing fine.

#4 imsofucked

imsofucked

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:11 PM

dpdr as a symptom of anxiety or depression is curable yes. but depersonalization disorder is not the same thing. and dpd is very hard to treat.

can you elaborate what you mean by its not the same thing ? I developed DP/DR from marijuana the first time and a panic attack the second time so both stemmed from anxiety but i consider myself to have the disorder because i have constant 24/7 DPDR, not episodes.

#5 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:33 AM

can you elaborate what you mean by its not the same thing ? I developed DP/DR from marijuana the first time and a panic attack the second time so both stemmed from anxiety but i consider myself to have the disorder because i have constant 24/7 DPDR, not episodes.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=QIR7RTxTzLY

this video elaborates exactly what i mean

#6 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 05:37 AM

and i had written you a pm but you didnt replied. i recovered also once from marijuana induced dpdr and had relapsed from major depressive episode and strong anxiety. i have it also constant 24/7. and i also think its dpd for me because i no longer have anxiety or depression. but still depersonalized.

#7 freeyourself

freeyourself

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:26 AM

Sounds like an ad;). Is it really worth its' money? Did it contribute to your recovery?
Glad you're doing fine.

Hahaha not at all! If only I'd written it icon_mrgreen.gif

Yes, 1000%... it's full of all of the precise neuroscientific and psychological information that you need to recover.

I overcame DPDR on my own after years of horrendous, terrifying weed-triggered dissociation (totally chronic - totally believed I was living in a simulation, you guys know the feeling), and can now objectively see that I only managed to cure myself because I approached the condition as this book describes. I read it and thought "holy shit, this is my own strategy but far, far better and more infallible".

Recovery is dependent on a very specific mentality switch, you see. Goes far beyond just "countering OCD thoughts and trying to relax", and involves 

a). acknowledging that you are stuck in this state because you are prone to rumination

b. realising that it doesn't matter if drugs, trauma or even low-level emotional stress triggered your dissociative symptoms. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can and will recover - the cure is always the same.

c).truly knowing and believing that you are safe, not about to go psychotic/lose control/etc.

For that reason, I'm constantly exploring resources and buying books etc. to try and find ones that I know will help people like you guys. Recovering from any form of chronic dissociation is just essential... and you must prioritise and fight for your own emotional freedom

Remember, the negative forum post writers can't make you better, nor can your psychotherapist...

IMO, this comes down to assimilating high-quality material from professionals who have had the disorder and cured themselves. Otherwise, it's very, very easy to stay trapped in the fearful headspace that makes recovery impossible.

Best of luck guys <3 I really mean it.

#8 freeyourself

freeyourself

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:39 AM

Hey guys,

I'm just chipping here now to tell you that chronic dissociation (regardless of how you like to define your individual situation - "drug-induced derealisation", "chronic DPDR", "intermittent depersonalisation"..) is cured in the same way. I completely respect that this is impossible to see while trapped in the horrible, frankly terrifying symptoms that come along with things/yourself feeling 'unreal', but this is an absolute truth that you should try your best to believe.

Why? Believing this will push you 30% towards recovery. The longer you spend watching youtube videos that try and further guide you towards diagnosing yourself differently/analysing "whether you have chronic/intermittent dissociation", the more you are falling into identifying as a patient, ruminating more, etc. This will sustain your symptoms, whether they are permanent or arise sporadically.

I can tell you that I suffered from severe chronic (really 24/7) depersonalisation and derealisation triggered by drugs and sustained by 'reality-checking' and OCD tendencies. And, I managed to direct my flow away from reality/my condition, and have been 100% cured for years.

Don't let anyone tell you that chronic DPDR is a different beast in terms of recovery, for it isn't. In terms of experience, sure - there are undeniably huge differences between the experience of someone who experiences occasional dissociation when stressed and someone who permanently feels 'drugged' and dissociated.

But, let's be careful and not mix up what's interesting/valid to analyse (i.e. what could be studied and talked about) and what's relevant to recovery.

There are hundreds of things that we can scrutinise and categorise etc. when it comes to dissociative symptoms, but trust me, they are better accepted as the umbrella concept that they are and treated as so. This attitude will be seem super counterintuitive and 'overly-simplistic', but it is exactly what allowed me to slip out of (and remain free from!) the most horrendous, chronic DPDR that I believed to be "permanent and nothing to do with anxiety".

That's all - I hope this answer resonates with whoever reads it, and that it doesn't come across harsh. I'm just so, so passionate about imparting every last shred of information that I know to be true regarding this sneaky, illusory disorder (that, as a side effect, makes you want to research it excessively and make things more complex than they are!). If I see anyone talking in a way that I know to be limiting/make recovery less likely, I'll swoop in and share my two cents now that I'm totally cured. icon_wink.gif icon_razz.gif

#9 imsofucked

imsofucked

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:41 AM

and i had written you a pm but you didnt replied. i recovered also once from marijuana induced dpdr and had relapsed from major depressive episode and strong anxiety. i have it also constant 24/7. and i also think its dpd for me because i no longer have anxiety or depression. but still depersonalized.

ah okay, and sorry i had missed your PM; i usually only try to visit this site in a desperation attempt to get some reassurance/relief (dont we all). But let me tell you what ive told myself to try to get myself through this second journey to hell; Recovering once before is proof in itself that you are not permanently serving a sentence to this insufferable hell. Even though you may have gotten it a different way this time, your body and mind have shown you that it is capable of beating this. I suggest you research the term neuroplasticity. I word that should give all of us DPDR sufferers hope :)

#10 imsofucked

imsofucked

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:52 AM

Hey guys,

I'm just chipping here now to tell you that chronic dissociation (regardless of how you like to define your individual situation - "drug-induced derealisation", "chronic DPDR", "intermittent depersonalisation"..) is cured in the same way. I completely respect that this is impossible to see while trapped in the horrible, frankly terrifying symptoms that come along with things/yourself feeling 'unreal', but this is an absolute truth that you should try your best to believe.

Why? Believing this will push you 30% towards recovery. The longer you spend watching youtube videos that try and further guide you towards diagnosing yourself differently/analysing "whether you have chronic/intermittent dissociation", the more you are falling into identifying as a patient, ruminating more, etc. This will sustain your symptoms, whether they are permanent or arise sporadically.

I can tell you that I suffered from severe chronic (really 24/7) depersonalisation and derealisation triggered by drugs and sustained by 'reality-checking' and OCD tendencies. And, I managed to direct my flow away from reality/my condition, and have been 100% cured for years.

Don't let anyone tell you that chronic DPDR is a different beast in terms of recovery, for it isn't. In terms of experience, sure - there are undeniably huge differences between the experience of someone who experiences occasional dissociation when stressed and someone who permanently feels 'drugged' and dissociated.

But, let's be careful and not mix up what's interesting/valid to analyse (i.e. what could be studied and talked about) and what's relevant to recovery.

There are hundreds of things that we can scrutinise and categorise etc. when it comes to dissociative symptoms, but trust me, they are better accepted as the umbrella concept that they are and treated as so. This attitude will be seem super counterintuitive and 'overly-simplistic', but it is exactly what allowed me to slip out of (and remain free from!) the most horrendous, chronic DPDR that I believed to be "permanent and nothing to do with anxiety".

That's all - I hope this answer resonates with whoever reads it, and that it doesn't come across harsh. I'm just so, so passionate about imparting every last shred of information that I know to be true regarding this sneaky, illusory disorder (that, as a side effect, makes you want to research it excessively and make things more complex than they are!). If I see anyone talking in a way that I know to be limiting/make recovery less likely, I'll swoop in and share my two cents now that I'm totally cured. icon_wink.gif icon_razz.gif

appreciate your insight. The biggest thing i struggle with is logically i know these have to just be thoughts making me think/feel like this; but its like its so ingrained into my thoughts and feels so true that i cant grasp how this isnt my actual reality; like this is kinda how its always been its just been doormant and now im finally "awakening" to new reality. Ive just completely forgotten what normal feels like so i dont even know what im working towards if that makes sense ? I dont know if im feeling better because i dont know what im supposed to be feeling like.

#11 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:19 AM

ah okay, and sorry i had missed your PM; i usually only try to visit this site in a desperation attempt to get some reassurance/relief (dont we all). But let me tell you what ive told myself to try to get myself through this second journey to hell; Recovering once before is proof in itself that you are not permanently serving a sentence to this insufferable hell. Even though you may have gotten it a different way this time, your body and mind have shown you that it is capable of beating this. I suggest you research the term neuroplasticity. I word that should give all of us DPDR sufferers hope :)

at my first time i was fully able to experience emotions. maybe i felt like they arent like mine or they are damped but i had have real strong emotions. and my distracting with them was the key to forget this hell. i think youre right, that has something to do with neuroplasticy. but this time i have 2 major differences. 1. my emotions are 90% blunted. im not even able to feel my anxiety rightly. 2. sounds are very unfamiliar to me. this makes me think im stuck this time

#12 imsofucked

imsofucked

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:25 AM

at my first time i was fully able to experience emotions. maybe i felt like they arent like mine or they are damped but i had have real strong emotions. and my distracting with them was the key to forget this hell. i think youre right, that has something to do with neuroplasticy. but this time i have 2 major differences. 1. my emotions are 90% blunted. im not even able to feel my anxiety rightly. 2. sounds are very unfamiliar to me. this makes me think im stuck this time

if you look at a majority of the people who come back to this forum and say they relapsed or have had this a second time; they all usually say it is completely different this time and they are having symptoms they have never had before. Just because its not the same as the first time youve had it doesnt mean you are now incurable. It manifests in different ways. Part of the condition is worrying that your case is different or worse than everyone else's. I can guarantee you atleast one person on this website has experienced everything you are currently. Not saying this will make it easier for you but what i am saying is that you are 100% curable and thinking you arent will keep you in this state for far longer than you want to be in.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cured, recovery, you can heal!, dpdr, derealization, depersonalization

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users