Recovered after five years - Page 2 - Recovery Stories - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Recovered after five years

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#13 Phantasm

Phantasm

Janitor

• Moderators
  • 868 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 30 August 2020 - 08:08 AM

What you said about obsessing over how you feel is exactly what I feel is holding me back. Even when I have good days I’ll sometimes sabotage by thinking “am I ok?” “How do I feel”. Was it hard to let go? What helped you stop checking in?

I don't know if this will help mkeshish, but the law of substitution says that you cannot not think of a pink elephant, but you can think of something else (like a multicolored aardvark)

Start imagining how it might be to feel how you want to feel, like, "what if?" And run with it :) 

#14 marduk

marduk

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 02:17 PM

Did u recover from eye floater or did u see any people who recovered from eye floaters ?

I did see floaters mostly because of me obsessing about my vision, now i rarely notice them.

#15 freeyourself

freeyourself

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 02:19 PM

Yesss, so glad to hear it! I am completely cured too, and my gosh, it is worth pushing yourself and proving to yourself that you CAN overcome the silly intrusive thoughts that your limbic emotional brain sends your way. DPDR is an illusion, and falls away once you take recovery into your own hands.

#16 marduk

marduk

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 02:24 PM

What you said about obsessing over how you feel is exactly what I feel is holding me back. Even when I have good days I’ll sometimes sabotage by thinking “am I ok?” “How do I feel”. Was it hard to let go? What helped you stop checking in?

You sound exactly like i was for quite a long time even though i had periods were i felt pretty good i sabotaged myself by monitoring myself and started to look for symptoms which only made me feel more spaced out. I finally stopped caring after getting used to the symptoms, i started dating and studying and started to immerse myself in other stuff, for most of my five years i was constantly obsessing how i feel. Only when i accepted them and also accepted the fact that this will probably stay with me for a long time i started to think about other things til one day i just realized that i havent noticed any symptoms for a while. Its both very easy and very difficult at the same time, i am sure you get there eventually!

#17 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 03:13 PM

Hello

I first joined this forum in 2015 while i was in the worst of it and was suffering from severe dpdr and had lots of visual disturbances, i have felt pretty good for quite a while but finally i feel like i can say that i am recovered. My Dpdr was brought on by severe anxiety and panic attacks and my weed use probably contributed to my symptoms but i do believe that for me the main culprit was anxiety and the panic attacks.
I cannot definitely say the exact moment i felt recovered because i managed to get myself into a place where i was barely thinking about my condition, one day i just thought that those issues that pretty much ruined my life 5 years ago have been gone for a while now. I still struggle with anxiety and still have some issues to work through but the dpdr symptoms are completely gone, i was originally thinking about what a party i will have when i am recovered and that i will feel amazing but the truth is that i just feel normal and life feels normal again. My symptoms were as follows.

-Visual disturbances
-cognitive difficulties\blank mind
-depersonalization and derealization
-constantly obsessing about my condition and if i will ever feel normal again

For me my recovery was very gradual and was barely noticeable and had a lot of setbacks during the 5 years i was suffering, i think the key that finally made me go over that last hurdle was simply accepting the condition and started living life, the constant obsessing about my condition and the fact that i was constantly checking the intensity of the symptoms was the main reason the condition stayed so long with me, when i finally accepted it and stopped monitoring the symptoms i gradually started to feel better until the symptoms were gone. I realize that not everyone's experience is the same and the same methods wont work for everyone but i still felt the need to share what helped me and also would like to give hope to the people currently suffering, especially for the ones who have suffered for years like i did , i am still very thankful for all the support i got during the toughest times by the amazing people of this community even though they were also sufferers they did not hesitate to help others who were struggling and i am very grateful for that. If anyone has any questions to ask i will gladly answer them.

Marduk

had you have dpd or dpdr as symptom of anxiety?

#18 marduk

marduk

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 03:46 PM

had you have dpd or dpdr as symptom of anxiety?

I believe it was anxiety related for me but I still had dp and dr chronically for five years.

#19 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 04:03 PM

I believe it was anxiety related for me but I still had dp and dr chronically for five years.

mine is unfortunately not anxiety based.. i have no hope to overcome this.. i dont even know what my issue is..

#20 marduk

marduk

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 05:24 PM

mine is unfortunately not anxiety based.. i have no hope to overcome this.. i dont even know what my issue is..

I also thought it could not possibly be caused by anxiety, i experienced symptons still while completely relaxed and not anxious. It as a long process, still dpdr can be triggered by many different things and even if your is not anxiety based it doesnt mean there isnt something that will work for you.

#21 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 07:24 PM

I also thought it could not possibly be caused by anxiety, i experienced symptons still while completely relaxed and not anxious. It as a long process, still dpdr can be triggered by many different things and even if your is not anxiety based it doesnt mean there isnt something that will work for you.

thank you for your hopeful advices.. i have very big problems with irritability.. i get angry so fast and that makes me feel so insane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users