Recovered after five years - Recovery Stories - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Recovered after five years

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 marduk

marduk

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 09:39 AM

Hello

I first joined this forum in 2015 while i was in the worst of it and was suffering from severe dpdr and had lots of visual disturbances, i have felt pretty good for quite a while but finally i feel like i can say that i am recovered. My Dpdr was brought on by severe anxiety and panic attacks and my weed use probably contributed to my symptoms but i do believe that for me the main culprit was anxiety and the panic attacks.

I cannot definitely say the exact moment i felt recovered because i managed to get myself into a place where i was barely thinking about my condition, one day i just thought that those issues that pretty much ruined my life 5 years ago have been gone for a while now. I still struggle with anxiety and still have some issues to work through but the dpdr symptoms are completely gone, i was originally thinking about what a party i will have when i am recovered and that i will feel amazing but the truth is that i just feel normal and life feels normal again. My symptoms were as follows.

-Visual disturbances

-cognitive difficulties\blank mind

-depersonalization and derealization 

-constantly obsessing about my condition and if i will ever feel normal again

For me my recovery was very gradual and was barely noticeable and had a lot of setbacks during the 5 years i was suffering, i think the key that finally made me go over that last hurdle was simply accepting the condition and started living life, the constant obsessing about my condition and the fact that i was constantly checking the intensity of the symptoms was the main reason the condition stayed so long with me, when i finally accepted it and stopped monitoring the symptoms i gradually started to feel better until the symptoms were gone. I realize that not everyone's experience is the same and the same methods wont work for everyone but i still felt the need to share what helped me and also would like to give hope to the people currently suffering, especially for the ones who have suffered for years like i did , i am still very thankful for all the support i got during the toughest times by the amazing people of this community even though they were also sufferers they did not hesitate to help others who were struggling and i am very grateful for that. If anyone has any questions to ask i will gladly answer them.

Marduk

#2 RunToMe

RunToMe

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 09:57 AM

you felt emotions besides anxiety and panic attacks ?

#3 marduk

marduk

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:58 AM

you felt emotions besides anxiety and panic attacks ?

When i was in the worst of it i had bad emotional numbness with occasional panic, anxiety and feelings of anger and bitterness  because of my situation. all positive feelings and the emotional connection to my enviroment and people was completely gone, you could literally have killed a puppy in front of me and it would not have sparked any feelings. Symptoms like that are very common with dpdr and when the symptoms start to subside so does the numbness.

#4 badsidejoe

badsidejoe

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:54 PM

What about existential thoughts and obsessions? Did you have them and have they left?

#5 marduk

marduk

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:50 PM

What about existential thoughts and obsessions? Did you have them and have they left?

This never was a significant problem for me i had existential thoughts during my first few months but managed to shake it of fairly quickly. But these also tend to subside as you get better.

#6 leminaseri

leminaseri

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:34 PM

congrats make im glad

#7 nestor1917

nestor1917

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:03 AM

Which visual disturbances did you have?

#8 marduk

marduk

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:15 AM

Which visual disturbances did you have?

blurry vision, static vision with afterimages light sensitivity and slight double vision from bright objects, still have slight double vision if i am tired but its mostly gone

#9 nestor1917

nestor1917

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 11:34 AM

blurry vision, static vision with afterimages light sensitivity and slight double vision from bright objects, still have slight double vision if i am tired but its mostly gone

Oh,have the afterimages gone?

#10 marduk

marduk

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:11 AM

Oh,have the afterimages gone?

To be honest i am not completely sure if i only noticed the afterimages because i was obsessing about them but they did seem to be strong at first now i rarely notice them at all so i would classify that as a yes. Negative afterimages to some degree is completely normal and it is quite often reported with dpdr as quite common. all dpdr related symptoms tend to lessen and eventually disappear as you start to feel better.

#11 Findyourself1997

Findyourself1997

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 09:44 AM

Did u recover from eye floater or did u see any people who recovered from eye floaters ?

#12 mkeshish

mkeshish

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 07:14 AM

What you said about obsessing over how you feel is exactly what I feel is holding me back. Even when I have good days I’ll sometimes sabotage by thinking “am I ok?” “How do I feel”. Was it hard to let go? What helped you stop checking in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users