Possible Cotard's? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Possible Cotard's?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ivleo

ivleo

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 06:27 AM

Hello everyone, been posting a lot but I'm feeling extremely strange. I've just started taking an SSRI for my depression / OCD, and my anxiety has skyrocketed. I mean, I've started questioning my very own existence. I'm afraid I may be developing Cotard's or something. I literally don't feel like I exist. Like, I'm stuck in this limbo and something is happening inside my head, but I don't actually exist. It's a very scary feeling :/
Have you ever questioned your very own existence obsessively? I know Descartes has a good argument with the "cogito ergo sum", but I literally feel like I don't exist.

#2 Mayer-Gross

Mayer-Gross

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 437 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:03 AM

Some SSRIs are known for causing anxiety at their startup in some. https://anxieties.co...edication_SSRIs

#3 Psyborg

Psyborg

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:03 PM

I thought I am dead 

#4 Where

Where

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Moderators
  • 718 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 12:46 PM

The limitations in Descartes' thinking are like PerfectFifth said. He always assumed there was some purpose to everything and most of the time he assumed the universe was created by God. And why is, "I think, therefore I am," gospel to so many people? You could just be a consciousness observing someone else think, or maybe the self is a mental construct that doesn't really exist. Please stop giving so much credit to Descartes. I mean, he has a name that sounds fancy and he was a philosopher, but that doesn't give him the benefit of being right about everything.

Anyway, you're not dead because your vital organs are working and achieving homeostasis for you. But many people with depersonalization say they feel dead, maybe because they aren't having the emotional experiences and sense of selfhood they're used to. Depersonalization is a psychological, probably neurological syndrome, and if anything it shows that you're alive.

When I first heard about delusions like Cotard's, aside from in Wikipedia, it was in a documentary about brain damage. Are delusions like that stemming from schizophrenia and other mental disorders considered Cotard's? It seems like your problem is anxiety and obsession, not that anyone can properly diagnose you over the internet and without professional training. I remember saying things like, "Is God mad at me?" when I first got severe depersonalization, which is considered not clinically delusional because God is something I was taught could be real by many people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users