A small survey to lamotrigin (lamictal): Did it helps you or worsened your numbing ? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

A small survey to lamotrigin (lamictal): Did it helps you or worsened your numbing ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RunToMe

RunToMe

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 05:49 AM

Hi all of you,

i want to ask all of you who  - especially suffered on numbing -  tried lamotrigin (lamictal) and what effect had it on you ? Did it reduce numbing and other symptoms or makes it numbing or other symptoms worser ?

Thank you for answering !

#2 Jackk11

Jackk11

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:29 AM

I just stared im on 25mg. It had a small very short lived effect that I’m hoping builds as the dose builds.

#3 Mayer-Gross

Mayer-Gross

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 441 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:33 AM

Such a survey is in many ways pointless as either SSRIs or lamotrigine as monotherapy have shown any effect in depersonalization. It is the combination of them that have shown effect in 50% with a 35% reduction in symptoms in small trails.

SSRIs are known to many a state of emotional flatline or anhedonia in many with depression who is treated with them. Their depression goes away. It is likely related to a interaction between the serotonin system and dopamine system. To much serotonin stimulation of the 5-HT/C can give a fall in dopamine in the reward system. That is particularly a problem among young people. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2989833/

#4 Jackk11

Jackk11

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:55 AM

Such a survey is in many ways pointless as either SSRIs or lamotrigine as monotherapy have shown any effect in depersonalization. It is the combination of them that have shown effect in 50% with a 35% reduction in symptoms in small trails.
SSRIs are known to many a state of emotional flatline or anhedonia in many with depression who is treated with them. Their depression goes away. It is likely related to a interaction between the serotonin system and dopamine system. To much serotonin stimulation of the 5-HT/C can give a fall in dopamine in the reward system. That is particularly a problem among young people.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2989833/

I wonder why lamotrigine as a mono therapy is Less effective than adding an ssri considering there’s no theoretical reason for this to work.

#5 RunToMe

RunToMe

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:47 PM

Hello Mayer-Gross,

actually i take both lamotrigin and sertralin. Do you know the same emotional blunted effect from lamotrigin alone ? Or do/can it reinforce the ssri emotional blunting effect ? Lamotrigin, as a mood stabilizator but especially as an anti-epileptic drug, can make reduce the nerv cell activation in general to suppress a seizure ?

Thank You !

#6 Mayer-Gross

Mayer-Gross

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 441 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:45 PM

The idea of using lamotrigine in depersonalization was based on a trial where a single infusion of the dissociative drug ketamine was given to healthy people and prior to the infusion 300.mg lamotrigine was given. The trial claimed that lamotrigine could block the dissociative effect of ketamine. That trial the becomes the basis for given lamotrigine in depersonalization as mono therapy and in that trial no responded to it. The combination antidepressants with lamotrigine came up and some had a response. It is not a formal treatment and everything related to depersonalization is small trials and dataset. That makes it the risk of replications errors extremely high. In normal medicin the replication is 50%. So, there is 50% chance that large errors will be in a trial and others can not replicate and do the same findings. So, one can not find answers to many things Even if the ambitions is ther. We do not know anything about most psychiatric conditions. We do not know how many drugs works. So, you can try to look for answers that can not be given. If a combination of lamotrigine and a antidepressant doesn’t work one can try and replace it with a antidepressant form other class of antidepressant. But, there is no formel medical treatment for depersonalization where a significant numbers respond with a significant reduction in symptoms and if there is no effect it might be the explanation.But, it worth a try as some have a benefit for it. 

https://jamanetwork....larticle/481584

#7 PerfectFifth

PerfectFifth

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:31 PM

I wonder why lamotrigine as a mono therapy is Less effective than adding an ssri considering there’s no theoretical reason for this to work.

Yeah, good luck with that. You're not going to get an explanation anytime soon considering how poorly the mechanisms of these drugs are understood in general. 

#8 Jackk11

Jackk11

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:11 AM

Yeah, good luck with that. You're not going to get an explanation anytime soon considering how poorly the mechanisms of these drugs are understood in general.

I know. It was just a thought.

#9 Linn

Linn

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:03 PM

I had cognitive side effects from Lamotrigine. It took a while, but after a year or so it came. It affected my language and spelling (Yes, actually!), brain fog and organization. When I lowered my dose it was better, but not good. Now I don't take it and my mind is a lot clearer. I didn't take Lamotrigine for depersonalization but for my bipolar disorder, but the side effects are the same as I've heard many say they get foggy, especially on high doses.

#10 iamsufferingalotlmao

iamsufferingalotlmao

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2020 - 10:07 PM

At 150 and slowly going up. A bit more stable but not much else.

#11 Where

Where

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Moderators
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:53 AM

SSRIs can supposedly help with a lot of things, so this makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users