Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Anyone else not able to sleep- like, literally...no hyperbole

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 GoneInSpace

GoneInSpace

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:28 PM

Ever since I developed DP I have not been able to fall asleep/go unconscious. This has been going on for a decade now. Yes, I know it sounds impossible, but it is the case. I have had over a dozen sleep studies done and they have concluded that I do not go past stage one sleep. The doctors don't really know what to make of it, and pass it off as some sort of rare brain condition.

So basically I lay in bed for ten hours, then decide I have had enough and get up, and repeat. 

I am in one state of reality 24/7- not asleep, not awake. It is terrifying and I basically stay at home in fear and have no life. 

I have tried probably over twenty kinds of meds (SNRIS, SSRIS, antipsychotics, benzos, sleeping pills) and nothing has been able to help very much. 

Anyway, I just wonder if there is anyone else out there like this who has total, complete insomnia. Not broken sleep or waking up a few times a night, but literally lying there for eight hours awake, then getting up, spending the day in DPland then back to bed wide awake, repeat....

#2 forestx5

forestx5

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 637 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:39 PM

I once went 52 days without real sleep.  Every 2 or 3 days I would pass out for a couple of hours, but it wasn't real sleep.  My psych was no help at all.  I remember taking 2 chloral hydrates and not falling asleep.  That's pretty sad. I ran a couple miles and drank a 6 pak of beer.  That was a mistake.  No sleep.  Awake through a terrible hangover.  I finally did some research and learned that Amitriptyline sometimes worked for chronic insomnia.  I had my psych prescribe it and I had my first sleep.  I remember taking 75mg.  I used it for several  months and it worked great.  Years later I had another severe episode of insomnia.  I took 75mg of Seroquel that time, and it also worked very well.  Good luck.  I know how miserable insomnia can be.

#3 heyLow

heyLow

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:41 AM

i'm the exact opposite i sleep 12 hours a day

#4 dope

dope

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:14 AM

Maybe that's why you have DP? Sleep Deprivation causes DP, too.

#5 ThoughtOnFire

ThoughtOnFire

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

Dolphins never fully sleep either. Otherwise they'd drown. Instead, parts of their brain "take turns" sleeping.

#6 Pondererer

Pondererer

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

Interesting. When you say stage 1, what does that mean really? Are you aware you are lying in bed trying to sleep the whole time? Or do you sleep but it's kinda poor quality? I can relate but for me it's more the first 3hours trying to fall asleep.

#7 eddy1886

eddy1886

• DPSH Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

Ive had insomnia for nearly 30 years...The day I developed DP was the day my proper sleeping habits ended...

I can go several nights without any sleep and then literally die for 20 hours straight....Having said this I NEVER go into proper deep REM sleep and NEVER wake up feeling rested...

Im convinced I experience anxiety and panic attacks in my sleep too

#8 GoneInSpace

GoneInSpace

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

Interesting. Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, the day I got chronic DP (I had periodic episodes before)  is the day I no longer was able to fall asleep.

I lay there awake and aware all night. The doctors are totally baffled how I am still alive. I believe my brain has gone into permanent dp as a way of adjusting to no sleep. At least, that makes sense, no? They have proven that monks in a state of deep meditation produce the same brain waves as those of a sleeper.

Truth is science doesn't really understand much about sleep and the brain and DP yet...

There are four stages of sleep, the third and fourth being dream sleep and total blackness, and I have not experienced those for over a decade.

#9 TDX

TDX

• DPSH Members
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

I have tried probably over twenty kinds of meds (SNRIS, SSRIS, antipsychotics, benzos, sleeping pills) and nothing has been able to help very much. 

Have you tried any medications that might work for depersonalization, like Lamotrigine? I mean, if you found something that worked for it, maybe it would help your sleep problems at the same time.

Have you tried the anticonvulsives Gabapentine, Tiagabine or Pregabaline? Or the tricyclic antidepressants Trazodone, Amitriptyline, Doxepin ot Mirtazapine?

For some time I have taken Clozapine and I can say that it is the most sedating drug I have ever taken. It is much stronger than Mirtazapine and this effect did not build a tolerance. But I don't know if it is used as a sleep aid.

I lay there awake and aware all night. The doctors are totally baffled how I am still alive. I believe my brain has gone into permanent dp as a way of adjusting to no sleep. At least, that makes sense, no?

Not really.

They have proven that monks in a state of deep meditation produce the same brain waves as those of a sleeper.

But deep meditation doesn't mean depersonalization.

#10 Billy D.P.

Billy D.P.

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:00 PM

I find it odd how DP is basically the feeling of dreaming while awake and yet so many have terrible problems actually sleeping. I went through an extreme bout of insomnia a year ago that lasted for about four months. I didn't sleep more than five hours per night during that time and never straight through. When I got my anxiety under control I was able to sleep better but a year later I still have trouble with sleep. Teas have helped me the most. 

#11 CK1

CK1

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:21 PM

NOT PROUD, more embarrassed and don't even really wanna write out this story, but I wanna help and on this forum I don't hide anything. I feel we are all family. 

I went 10 days without sleep (no you don't believe that, no one does it's fine) this was confirmed after an A&E stay in Northwick Park, Harrow, by all means ask them, record for them. 11 days is the world record, by no means trying to look 'cool' it's hell. I tried to knock myself out after 10 days with loads of downers and sleeping tablets, I OD'd ended up in hospital. Extreme, don't do this. You've no idea how much agony the body takes after it (neither did I)..

Anyway. Moved country to recover, found a GP who actually cared and was shocked by the whole situation (unlike my previous GP who did not care) so he rang the A&E to see if I was talking rubbish. I wasn't, next week got me in and did 8 full things of bloods, I have an A4 page font 8 with nearly everything you can do (done twice  3 months apart, ouch) .......apart from vitamins for some reason, it's online if anyone really wants to see for sure, anyway long story short... 

My bloods were all over the show, he sent me to an ENDO and after a synacthen test it turns out my adrenal glands were/are over worked and I lack Cortisol so it sends adrenaline around my body.

Do what you can to get a full hormone profile. I am not talking 1 bottle of blood and some little test. I had this many times showed nothing, you need the full thing. Honestly. 

For me it was Adrenal Glands. I'm not saying this is your problem but hormones in sleep are MASSIVE. I had Zoplicolones over 100 in one year, way illegal, 25 I was told by my new GP in a year is the limit, but my old doctor obviously could not find anything and was at a loss after trying Meltalonin, Ambien, Lithium, Seroquel, Diazepam, Mirtazapine, got diagnosed as Bipolar... the whole 9 yards...after a lot of drugs my ENDO said.... this is not a mental issue. Turns out hormones are more powerful than I ever imagined... and a lot of doctors. 

Basically, search deeper. Also adrenaline is easy to spot, see if your eyes dilate bigger at 10pm ish, the first thing I noticed was my eyes looking like owls eyes. I'm not at the end of my story, but I learnt recently... stress causes hormonal changes. Get them ruled out, they can be fixed. 

TLDR..... Hormones are more powerful than you can imagine, get a full test and get that ruled out first or you might be attempting this from the wrong angle. When you have depression and anxiety a lot of things get over taxed

Also don't believe private 'full tests'. I paid 500 pounds in harley street to do a hormone test... that came back normal with about 10 things on it, this is no where near the list i can show you now as a real hormone profile. 

Obviously this is not easy to get, so if you can't, from what I know about Hormones (not that much) Testosterone, Prolactin, Cortisol are musts. A lot of doctors don't understand the importance of Cortisol, it was missed for 10 months of searching. I'm sure someone else can add more weight to what hormones are important that relates to sleep but if tablets can't make you sleep as I said, it doesn't have to be in the head... 

#12 eddy1886

eddy1886

• DPSH Members
  • 1,178 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:47 AM

Its well known anxiety sufferers are always producing too much adrenaline....

Adrenalin is what gets us moving and keeps us alert and on our toes....

No wonder none of us can sleep (Properly)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users