Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Got physically sick, DP got better..

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pondererer

Pondererer

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 13 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

I think it was a light food poisioning. I puked about 30times in 2 days. I ended up with an empty stomach, drinking 1-2 glass of cola every hour, only to puke it back up.

Long story short, all the puking took a physical toll on me (didn't really feel exhausted, just very tired) and it anchored me into real life. At times i actually enjoyed the puking, especially when it was only cola. Vommit obviously tastes awful, but it also tasted REAL, which is delicious.

I'm basically back to normal health wise, but the positive DP effect seems to be sticking around. I guess i'm making this post because because i wanted to share the good news, and i guess we can learn something here. Physical strain can anchor you back to reality. It actually makes me want to vommit on purpose in the future just to get that anchor effect again.

#2 Sw48

Sw48

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:06 AM

Interestingly enough, the same happens to me and I assume every single other person on this site. Ive had DP for 2 years now. And I've come to realize, people seem to really over complicate this illness. All DP is, is anxiety, a traumatic event that got you thinking, and a little bit of OCD ( although I think the worse your OCD is, the worse and longer lasting your DP). Anyways, The reason you felt better when you got sick is because you weren't thinking about DP anymore. You weren't fueling the fire. My DP was terrible late last summer, then some very depressing personal things happened in my life unrelated to DP in September, life changing, and my DP almost vanished for a good 3 or 4 months. Once I got over the things that happened, my DP started to slowly creep back in. The cure to DP is simple, yet very complicated. Face your fears. Become so distracted that you forget about your DP long enough to where it goes away. The trick is keeping yourself distracted for long enough period of time. If somebody on here could figure that out, we would all be cured. 

#3 Hedgehog fuzz

Hedgehog fuzz

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:10 AM

you say "all it is", but when it is SO severe that you entirely loose your self, internal monologue, blank mind occurs etc, its very hard to just distract yourself. i really think there needs to be a structured plan to get out of this, not just distraction techniques. 

#4 Chicane

Chicane

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

I dunno man, I really, really hate vomiting lol. I would imagine that your body and mind simply prioritized the more acute illness and so your focus automatically went towards being physically ill. I guess any distraction, even a negative one, can induce a temporary reprieve from DP. Still, I remain highly skeptical over the delicious cola-vomit  :mrgreen:

#5 Pondererer

Pondererer

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

Well, 2 things. The illness made me think about something else, because i didnt even have a choice. Secondly, the vommiting was basically a fairly powerful physical grounding excercise.

#6 mana_war

mana_war

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

Same, when i puke while im puking feel real.float in and out of it..one if the rare odd thing that triggers reality

#7 Vincentv

Vincentv

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

@Sw48 has a point. In my experience its not about so called 'distarction' from you true fears though. It's all about confronting these fears instead of being 'distracted' from them.... see you what I',m saying and I think this is more important then anything else.

#8 Vincentv

Vincentv

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

So what I'm saying truly isn that the very instant that you are able to face your fears (and instead of just a mere 'distration' because this distration only is temporarily because its fleeing from what is truly there) you will feel de dp subsiding. Just like that. The hardest part is daring to confront your true fears...

#9 Vincentv

Vincentv

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

Do that and miracles can happen, your dp can dissapear. I promise. and mostly we don't get out of the dp because we are shit scared of things... mostly shit scared of life... self-acceptance.

#10 Phocus

Phocus

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

I'm glad that you've found some relief. Congratulations. Let us know if the relief sticks around in the coming weeks. 

#11 mana_war

mana_war

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

I think its less about pgysical strain and more about involuntary physical strain cuz this doesnt happen when i work out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users