Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Getting over my dp, am I doing it right?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Valxbella

Valxbella

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:12 AM

Okay so I have been suffering from dp for roughly 3 weeks and I just went to the psychiatrist. I am prescribed with setraline (zoloft) 50mg and I am suppose to take it Everyday. I also got myself vitamin b12 and fish oil and I will try my best to ignore the feeling of detachment. I will go on with my life and do the things I usually would despite that it might be difficult. Am I doing this right? Also I will not return to this forum unless I feel like I need assurance on certain issues. However please feel free to give me your opinions at the moment ^^

#2 Broken

Broken

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:21 AM

Yes that's advice I would give. As hard as it is, I would try not to worry which I know is extremely difficult. Give the meds at least 2 months and don't read about people who have this long term. Chances are, and it seems more often than not, it passes on its own for most people. Sadly there's no figures on that, that's just a feeling from my experience on this forum

#3 Phocus

Phocus

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:53 AM

You will get over it, I've had it for a month all together but when I was at my worst I was in bed all the time, then I had the "f*uck it" attitude, and I started going out and socializing, yesterday I couldn'the feel the DP at all, and the DR symptons were mild, it has come back today but I think that is a sign of me getting better. Go out, socialize, it'll take your mind off of it, I bought myself a Samsung tablet so I can distract myself with games. If you have a dog then walk it, exercise helps relieve stress. And please leave the forums, obsessing over it doesn't help. I advise you only read the recovery section, I didn't read the forums for a week and I felt a lot happier. Don't believe the thoughts of that it is going to last 20 years like some of these other people, at first I thought the same and then I realised if I don't try to make a change then I will be like those people. The majority of those people have isolated themselves in their home, that's why it isn't going away. Go out, live your life and don't let it control you. If you get thoughts just let them in and then let them pass, don't fight them. I wish you all the best on your road to recovery.

#4 Chicane

Chicane

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationSoda City

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:35 AM

Yes, I think that's the right attitude to have. Don't give it more attention than it needs, because it often feeds off anxiety and rumination. I agree that distraction is the way to go. So if you have the energy, load up your schedule and plan lots of feel-good things for yourself. Socializing is really important, listening to others and just laughing with them helps a lot. And definitely stay far away from the forum as often as you can. We don't want you here!  :mrgreen:  Do also think about your medication over time. You may find that in the end you don't need it, and I think for the mild/brief cases it might be best to move on from it as soon as you are able. In the meantime just do what feels best for you. Distance yourself from anything that you might feel is a trigger as well as stressful situations, that is really important.

Although Phocus, I do think that's a little unfair. Many of us have tried most everything to get better. I've switched up locations, jobs, relationships, daily routines, exercise, diet, meds, supplements, and spent thousands on getting myself checked out and trying to improve my life. It seems that some of us just have an easier time getting out of it. You have to bear in mind you're dealing with the brain, which is so damn complex we often can't fully control it even if we try our hardest.

#5 Broken

Broken

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:04 PM

Yeh agreed. It seems some people still think you can 'will' your way out of this. To me it seems more about letting go, just drop it when you ruminate about it... not that I've recovered. I've just observed it makes it worse to hunt for a recovery. Meditation has helped sometimes. Others not. But don't obsess anyway, as hard as that is

#6 Phocus

Phocus

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

Although Phocus, I do think that's a little unfair. Many of us have tried most everything to get better. I've switched up locations, jobs, relationships, daily routines, exercise, diet, meds, supplements, and spent thousands on getting myself checked out and trying to improve my life. It seems that some of us just have an easier time getting out of it. You have to bear in mind you're dealing with the brain, which is so damn complex we often can't fully control it even if we try our hardest.

Sorry if I offended you in any way, my apologies. I just meant that if you're locking yourself away it's going to last a longer time. Plus the longer you isolate yourself the longer it takes to get out of it. But eventually you will overcome it. Good luck everyone.

#7 dope

dope

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:56 PM

Yes, you're going on a good road! 

Keep the positive attitude going, go out with your friends and live life! If you have any problems at all, just post a topic on here!

#8 Valxbella

Valxbella

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:45 PM

Hi everyone :( Took Zoloft and felt so nauseous and was unable to sleep the entire night. Feeling abit dr rn bc of the lack of sleep.......

#9 Valxbella

Valxbella

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:24 AM

Should I drop the Zoloft? I feel like I can handle it without the medication though ☹️️ The Zoloft is making me all nauseous. There will be no withdrawal symptoms right since I only took it for a day (50mg) :/ can I stop it abruptly? Or should I continue taking it? I'm confused.

#10 Valxbella

Valxbella

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:17 AM

To add on, I actually don't have much dp it is usually dr 24/7 excluding the time I am distracted :(

#11 Valxbella

Valxbella

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:18 AM

Yes, I think that's the right attitude to have. Don't give it more attention than it needs, because it often feeds off anxiety and rumination. I agree that distraction is the way to go. So if you have the energy, load up your schedule and plan lots of feel-good things for yourself. Socializing is really important, listening to others and just laughing with them helps a lot. And definitely stay far away from the forum as often as you can. We don't want you here! :mrgreen: Do also think about your medication over time. You may find that in the end you don't need it, and I think for the mild/brief cases it might be best to move on from it as soon as you are able. In the meantime just do what feels best for you. Distance yourself from anything that you might feel is a trigger as well as stressful situations, that is really important.

Thank you so much for your advice! I believe we can all get better together :)

#12 Valxbella

Valxbella

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:19 AM

You will get over it, I've had it for a month all together but when I was at my worst I was in bed all the time, then I had the "f*uck it" attitude, and I started going out and socializing, yesterday I couldn'the feel the DP at all, and the DR symptons were mild, it has come back today but I think that is a sign of me getting better. Go out, socialize, it'll take your mind off of it, I bought myself a Samsung tablet so I can distract myself with games. If you have a dog then walk it, exercise helps relieve stress. And please leave the forums, obsessing over it doesn't help. I advise you only read the recovery section, I didn't read the forums for a week and I felt a lot happier. Don't believe the thoughts of that it is going to last 20 years like some of these other people, at first I thought the same and then I realised if I don't try to make a change then I will be like those people. The majority of those people have isolated themselves in their home, that's why it isn't going away. Go out, live your life and don't let it control you. If you get thoughts just let them in and then let them pass, don't fight them. I wish you all the best on your road to recovery.

Thank you! All the best to you as well :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users