Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

GABA - back down the rabbit hole

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#37 CK1

CK1

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:38 PM

Yeah? the hidden pearl? awesome... just when you think you know the big ones. 

Mirtazapine keeps me awake, that's how you know I am bipolar, knocks everyone else out lol. 

Oh so you are gonna be on nothing? good luck, i'll be sure to keep in touch!

also can i send you a link to have a wee look at on this forum, need to know what to say for next week, used your quote... 

http://www.dpselfhel...dvice-pleaseee/

#38 Broken

Broken

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:01 AM

The hidden pearl indeed. It targets some regions implicated with dp.. alongside an SSRI/SNRI/any antidepressant it could induce neurogenesis in those regions.. I was very hopeful of this prior to this diet which has had remarkably quick results. So so much more relaxed. Physically at least, the most relaxed I have been for... 13years I would say. I feel uneasy/anxious a lot, but I believe this tension was the freeze response keeping these emotions back just so I could function... well not function. But not sit curled up in the foetal position, which had DP not occurred would have been my life. These emotions keep coming in waves everyday, along with tremors and feeling more physically relaxed. I don't think my body had the biochemical tools available for the mindfulness approach, which sometimes helped. But when these emotions come there is this urge to turn away, distract myself or DO something. If I just feel these emotions but do nothing, drop any intentions there is more release. And I think with this probiotic approach my body now has the GABA to help me relax and not excess glutamate and cortisol (these bacteria also lower cortisol levels!). It's slow progress but a lot faster than I thought it would be to honest. Just ordered a butt tonne of kimchi, will be back with more progress soon

#39 CK1

CK1

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:31 PM

lower cortisol eh? something i need, mines shockingly high... 

could you when you get a chance get links up / make a thread about the GUT? but for people who just wanna know where and to follow and i'll do it, spent stupid amounts on supplements that do nothing, quitting them all. You never know. 

I do know though without much doubt the reason i've no inner monologue is dopamine, do they touch that at all? 

#40 Broken

Broken

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:03 AM

Hmm I havent seen a lot about dopamine. But if cortisol is high then adrenaline is probably either high or you have adrenal fatigue. If that has happened then dopamine is made of very similar chemicals so it makes sense dopamine would become depleted... But then that's me trying to squeeze your symptoms into a model that I don't know for certain is a 'cure' for even me yet.

I will say that I am physically the most relaxed I have been in years. And today I noticed a shift in my DR - more 3Dness and more colour. It's subtle but definitely there. And multiple good probiotics that produce GABA are what I put this down to. I don't however see them doing you or anybody any harm.. I cant know that but I imagine its rare. Rhamnosus for example doesn't show positive effects in people with weakened immune systems and can even be negative. But this bacteria specifically has had anti depression/anxiety effects.

As long as it's started slow as I think I got some bad bacteria die off at the start of my diet which caused very bad gut symptoms. I will post a full in depth version soon I think with articles etc. For the time being I want to leave it for another week to be certain it is this that's helping.. even though I'm 80% sure at the minute. 3-4weeks ago I was banging on about emotional trauma though, and although I think what I said was relevant it's not the whole story. So once I've made a significant step I think I will post a recovery story (trying not to get too ahead of myself though). For now here is a post from another topic that list's everything I have taken: http://www.dpselfhel...ts/#entry452162

#41 Broken

Broken

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

https://www.nature.c...f/pr201551a.pdf

Here's a loose connection and small sample size, but possible link to rhamnosus decreasing chances of children developing adhd/aspergers, adhd being linked to dopamine. But the sample size is too small to be relevant. I mainly read other peoples accounts on these things online, theres tonnes of people saying it cured long term depression/anxiety

#42 CK1

CK1

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

nice very interesting, I will keep this in my back pocket, got to many other things going on now to give it a fair trail, thanks for the link to supplements. 

Yeah adrenaline fatigue is something they think I have at the moment, i have an Endocrinologist working on it. I just don't think fixing that will change my DP, as my blank mind is not caused by adrenaline in my opinion. 

Sure lets give this a few weeks or even a month and see how you get on with this! :)

#43 Hedgehog fuzz

Hedgehog fuzz

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

Broken, I think you should consider Pregabalin if you are finding GABAergic effects to be really helpful. It doesn't sound like medications have been helpful to you yet, but this might be the one. 

#44 Broken

Broken

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

Got that, didn't overly help. Perhaps slightly with sleep. But I'm just against gaba meds/supplements.. even agonists. Because it's just going to lead to dependence and decreased receptors. So for now I'm going to continue with this, still improving so will see how it goes.. Give it a few weeks then will go on mirtazapine + modafinil as I have a far more understanding GP now. GABA drugs are just dangerous in my opinion.. and this method actually increases GABA and GABA receptors naturally and sustainably

#45 CK1

CK1

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

mirtazapine + modafinil excites me... good luck on all fronts, keep us posted :)

#46 Hedgehog fuzz

Hedgehog fuzz

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:34 PM

Where did you learn about these particular supplements, and where does it say that it increases GABA levels naturally as well as receptors? I am very interested to know, and also, if there are natural ways to do this for GABA then there could be for lots of other chemicals as well.

I am currently taking pregabalin but my DP/DR was so fuckign bad when it came on that I had to take some medication. I do not want to be on it forever even though I have been told by my doctor that it less addictive and destructive basically than benzos (i did quiz him over it because I am scared), but I have to be on something right now until I get into the system proper. It makes me think whether I should of stayed on my sertraline anyway,  even a low dose, to see if that further bought my anxiety and obsessional symptoms down. I am also worried about hippocampal atrophy in the fucked up joke state of stress that I have been under for the year and a half. Pregabalin actually stimulated n'genesis in stress models so maybe I am covered, although I like to think that sertraline would do that even further. I have started taking turmeric supplements today for just that. 

Yes please keep us updated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users