Please consider purchasing a copy of Jeffrey Abugel's book Stranger to Myself to help fund future endeavours Click here to purchase.

Photo

Huge Loud Cracking Noise In My Chest When Breathing

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 1A

1A

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Members
  • 809 posts
  • LocationUnited States (Ohio)

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

A lot of times during the day I'll get the urge to take a deep breath, but I know that when I do, there will be a huge, loud cracking sound produced in my chest. Other people nearby can even hear it.

If I'm really tense, would you expect to hear this sound? If so, what do you think makes the sound -- the skeleton, muscles, etc.? I've been checked by doctors and they say my chest is fine.

I'm sure no one else has had this symptom, and that's great. You don't want this one. It's just annoying because, as a result, I feel as if I'm forced to take shallow breaths. And, then, in turn, I think I end up hyperventilating.

#2 chiara

chiara

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:39 PM

your spine and ribcage perhaps?
Do you slouch alot?
I dont think it has anything to do with dp..

#3 1A

1A

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:19 PM

your spine and ribcage perhaps?
Do you slouch alot?
I dont think it has anything to do with dp..

hi, thanks for your post. I think it's more anxiety than anything. I do slouch although I'm not sure that's the reason for the cracking sound. I think it's because I'm afraid of it happening -- and then I tense up so much that the sound happens whenever I take a deep breath.

Jeff

#4 livinginhell333

livinginhell333

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:08 PM

i get this too as well. a lot. i don't think its part of dp, but i don't know what else it can be. a lot of times i think my sternum in the middle of the ribcage cracks sometimes even when i breathe and take regular breaths. and if i take deep breaths i sometimes get crackin things in the middle of my chest. i do focus on it because its annoying and not normal and sometimes it can litererally feel as if there's nothing inside me literally and like i'm not breathing and i do force my breathing sometimes.

#5 chiara

chiara

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:11 PM

dont worry about it..everyone pops and creaks for some reason or another..its just a like a knee popping. When your body isnt used to moving a part it gets stiff which is why when you breath shallow and all of a sudden expand something makes a noise.
I get very tense and everything just pops, sometimes I feel like popcorn. I have a 5 year old and because my neck pops like 1000 times she just laughs and tells me my head let one again.

#6 livinginhell333

livinginhell333

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:11 PM

another thing is this cracking of the ribcage chest whatever never hurts. i don't get it.

#7 1A

1A

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:42 PM

dont worry about it..everyone pops and creaks for some reason or another..its just a like a knee popping. When your body isnt used to moving a part it gets stiff which is why when you breath shallow and all of a sudden expand something makes a noise.
I get very tense and everything just pops, sometimes I feel like popcorn. I have a 5 year old and because my neck pops like 1000 times she just laughs and tells me my head let one again.

Thanks. It's just that it can do this like 100 times a day (minimum).

#8 livinginhell333

livinginhell333

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 02:49 PM

the mind is a weird thing how it can do weird things to the body.

#9 1A

1A

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:04 PM

another thing is this cracking of the ribcage chest whatever never hurts. i don't get it.

Yeah, it doesn't hurt at all. It just drives me crazy, because I think 'Why is this happening? This shouldn't be happening. What's going on? Why won't it stop.' Sometimes I will hit myself in the chest really hard and that seems to stop it for maybe an hour or two. But you can't be hitting yourself like that all the time. You shouldn't have to.

#10 sebastian

sebastian

Former Moderator

• Members
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:15 PM

Sometimes I will hit myself in the chest really hard and that seems to stop it for maybe an hour or two. But you can't be hitting yourself like that all the time. You shouldn't have to.

Why not? It worked for Tarzan.

#11 lies

lies

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Locationbelgium

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:16 PM

the mind is a weird thing how it can do weird things to the body.

does this have anything to do with the mind???
i believe it's not
many people have this, just some bone that cracks
i don't think this is any related to dp

#12 Guest_Hibernation_*

Guest_Hibernation_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

Hyperventilation/shallow breathing.

Its a part of anxiety, it's also what causes DP/feelings of unreality ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users