Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Medication or no medication

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 M1k3y

M1k3y

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

What do u guys think

I've been dp'd and determind to be 1 of those guys who get over it in 8months to a year,

I'm currently taking meds and it makes me feel sleepy all the time and less happy

More suicidal, I hate this feeling

It's called ability

Idk what do u guys think, when i was off it I personally felt fine but just made others feel creepy,

I excersised and did vitamins and did whatever I can to make this go away

I'm thinking going back to that route

And fuck the meds

What yall think

#2 eddy1886

eddy1886

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 11 January 2017 - 01:55 AM

Only you yourself can make that decision...

If you can get better without meds that is always the best way..

Sometimes people just cant get better without meds and it becomes their last resort...

It all depends on how much you are suffering...If you have exhausted all other routes to recovery (which you should try first) then meds become the only option left...

Remember if medicine is the route you have to take and they work for you it is a million times better than suffering in agony day after day...

(Personally meds gave me my life back) (I would have ended my life without them the suffering was that bad)

#3 tfiio

tfiio

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 428 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

it may be worth it to try another medication, since it sounds like this one isn't really what you're looking for. or if you believe in your own ability to get past this without medication, go for it. doesn't mean you're weak if you have to try again, though.

#4 mind.divided

mind.divided

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

Medication can temporarily help with the anxiety but they also numb us even more which is not good  so you have to decide if it's worth it. I used medication for a few months in the beginning but I quit two years ago because of the negative side effects like more emotional numbness  :???:

#5 Artmuzz

Artmuzz

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:54 AM

Personally, I've never taken medication for my depression, anxiety and DPDR. I think the main reason I don't take medication is that I am scared it might not work for me and the side effects will make me worse. The things I am doing to try and combat this is by relaxing in the morning, exercising and eating a nutritious healthy diet as well as keeping my mind occupied with good things. However, this is very hard to do with having DPDR but I think I am slowly getting over this nightmare but it takes time and practise.

#6 Surfer Rosa

Surfer Rosa

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 747 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:07 PM

One: if you are having suicidal thoughts, there is more going on than just DP. (I'm talking in terms of "symptoms," not diagnosis.)

​Two: if you want to be one of those people who "gets better" in a few months to a year, you're going to need to reduce worry and stress dramatically​.

Medication has helped me with things like stress, feeling suicidal, being anxious, having racing thoughts, not sleeping enough...It has never addressed the depersonalization itself, not for me. That's my sensible, heartfelt, amateur advice. I'm not a genius, but I'm not a dummy either.

This should go without saying, but you need to increase activities like vigorous exercise, intentional sleep scheduling, positive socialization, healthy sex, quality nutrition...

When it comes to cursing the meds, it's hard to blame you. They can work in acute mental 'crises,' but medication has an overall negative effect on body systems. It promotes health by tweaking your psyche, potentially allowing you to feel better and make better choices. An antipsychotic can work on severe depression, mania and psychosis, but antipsychotics don't change what is inherent to your personality.

#7 andcrew

andcrew

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

In my case I have tried 4 different types of antidepressants and they only make me worse - i get a headache accompanied with becoming blanker and blanker in my head. I can't function at all on the meds, don't have a clue why I react on them this way

#8 Crypticall

Crypticall

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

Can you take your medication at night? That`s what I was told and it makes me sleepy so I get a good nights sleep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users