Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Newly diagnosed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stones in the Sand

Stones in the Sand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:08 AM

Hello. I've had a PTSD diagnosis for some years, and have recently had Dissociative Amnesia, Derealisation and Depersonalisation added, each classified as Severe

I'd like to have as detailed an understanding as possible of what these mean and how I can manage them effectively. I'm about to start a marathon read of these forums, but can anyone suggest other good resources? I've done quite a bit of searching online, but there doesn't seem to be much between superficial general explanations, and very detailed scientific papers.

I'm also struggling with the idea that things that have been normal to me throughout my life are now classified as pathological. It changes my understanding of myself, and of what the real world is. I feel quite fragile. I know from experience with PTSD that I need to approach this slowly, limiting my exposure to keep my physical and emotional responses at a manageable level. Any advice on coming to terms with the diagnosis?

#2 Stones in the Sand

Stones in the Sand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:54 AM

Any advice? I'm finding the whole thing very disturbing.

I thought getting a diagnosis would make it all tidier, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It all feels a tumultuous mess, and I have no support at all.

#3 RedSky

RedSky

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationBorn in Detriot MI currently in Honolulu HI

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:19 PM

Take it one step at a time man I had a pretty scary experience which resulted in PTSD and it has crippled my psyche... If I get into a situation take scares/ makes me nervous my hands literally start trembling and it is so hard to get it to stop, try mediation that helps me. 

#4 enroutetopeace

enroutetopeace

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:35 AM

Try meditation, people are always suggesting that. There's also some books on depersonalization on amazing that you can order. Don't spend too much time by yourself, because then you can get too deep into your head. Try and socialize.

#5 eddy1886

eddy1886

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:14 AM

Welcome to the world of DP....The condition were treatment and care is very limited...I dont want to cause you distress but the world of DP is very unresearched and any decent knowlegde of the condition and more so of how to treat it is very limited...

The good news is that it can be improved...The bad news is that its complete trial and error for each individual case...In fact as far as im concerned this website/forum is the only real source of any proper and realistic information on Depersonalization in the world...

Ive read book after book on this condition...They all tell you what it is (symptoms etc) but NONE of them tell you how to cure it...

Im sorry if I sound negative but years and years of dealing with this condition have made me not a pessimist and not an optimist but a REALIST...

Mental Health treatment for all mental health conditions is in the dark ages....Sad but true....Just ask the many people on this website who have had professional after professional tell them either there is nothing wrong with them or that its just a little bit of anxiety and it will pass.....................

#6 tfiio

tfiio

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

unfortunately, this may not be a great place to gather information. everyone here has pretty different experiences, and typically only feel depersonalization or derealization. there are some that feel both, and you may be able to find one or two with a symptom set comparable to your own. but I'm not sure you'll be able to find what you're looking for here. I'm sorry.

#7 Hedgehog fuzz

Hedgehog fuzz

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

i have both DP and DR. its awful.

#8 morph

morph

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:42 AM

Hello,

Here's a link to a site that may be helpful to you.

http://traumadissoci.../books.html#_=_

I've also struggled with the idea that my dissociative tendencies are pathological. I've managed to find a few ways to cope with that issue.

Some of the books listed on the site might be of use. I've not read them, so can't recommend any in particular, The site also gives the option to follow via Twitter, Facebook etc,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users