Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

How do you cope with concentration/memory problem ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EricFassbender

EricFassbender

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:14 AM

These 2 are my only big big concern for me, because of the high anxiety that I have while being in dp/dr I feel like a disconnection with my surounding or let's say a lack of emotions/empathy with it, so even if I'm listening and can give answers and keep being logical at the same time, those problem that I mentionned earlier doesn't help me concentrate and therefore I can barely temember (I can in fact remember things that happend, It's just that I feel so not "concerned" with those moments that I can't really remember when I should be able).

For those having a similar problem, how do you cope with this ? Does the fact that I stay almost all the time at home doing barely anything but ruminating about it can be a cause for these issue ?

#2 Pondererer

Pondererer

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 530 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:22 AM

Short story: honestly, i don't. Everything just is.

Long story: Learn to just let go of negative thoughts. Focus on feeling good. From there, choose to just get the easiest things done. Doing a couple of small things everyday is about 100x better then doing nothing. Particuarly because you gain momemtun and dopamin awards in your brain.

#3 Chicane

Chicane

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 490 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

This has been a problem for me as I have experienced a lot of cognitive issues with DPDR, primarily very poor memory and concentration. However, being on meds helped me relax about it, and as a result I noticed a slight improvement. Not a great deal, but a little. Then as I got used to these issues, I started to realize they perhaps weren't as big a deal as I first thought. I mean, I can still function, it's just that my mind isn't working at full capacity. A car can still run on 5 cylinders instead of 6. So I mean, unless you're forgetting your name or where you live, or what you have to do on a given day, it's not a huge problem. We don't have Alzheimer's or brain damage, we're just somewhat impaired. So I guess trying to keep that perspective has helped me a little. Although I do wish it would improve further still.

#4 eddy1886

eddy1886

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

Slow things down in all areas of ur life...lower the bar as regards your expectations of urself...learn to be patient...we are not super computer machines...we are humans with limitations...its actually ok to let things fall apart around us when our minds need a break

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users