Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Crystals as Reminders

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JuniperFlame

JuniperFlame

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 04 December 2016 - 12:55 AM

I'd like to start off by saying that, no, I don't believe in any kind of real science behind crystals. I go to a store in my city that sells them and smile politely when the employees start talking about ions and healing energy and other things I interpret as pseudoscience.

But I'm a sentimental person. What I like about crystals is that they each have a specific meaning. I like to choose a different crystal every morning and let the meaning behind it guide how I approach my day. If I'm doing something stressful, I bring blue tiger's eye, which symbolizes "going with the flow." If I'm spending time with friends or going on a date, I bring rose quartz, which symbolizes compassion and love. If I'm having a bad day for DR, I wear black tourmaline, which deflects negative energy, or hematite, which is meant to help you feel grounded.

Again, it's very unlikely that these crystals actually do anything. It's the symbolism that helps. Throughout the day, I remember that I'm wearing one of them and it helps focus my thoughts on the meaning - compassion, being grounded, honesty, etc. It's a bit like a placebo.

They're also pretty, so people don't give you strange looks if you wear them. :)

Anyway, this is something that helps me. It's obviously not for everyone, but I thought I'd share in case it might help someone else, too. :)

My favourites are hematite, amazonite, sodalite, rose quartz, blue tiger's eye, black tourmaline, and turquoise.

#2 Autonomic Space Monkey

Autonomic Space Monkey

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:12 AM

I think 99% of this alternative stuff is a load of old mumbo jumbo too, but I really like the way you approach it, never thought to look at it like that before.

:)

#3 Billy D.P.

Billy D.P.

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:00 AM

I think 99% of this alternative stuff is a load of old mumbo jumbo too, but I really like the way you approach it, never thought to look at it like that before.

As opposed to what percent of corporate pharmaceuticals not being mumbo jumbo? 

The bottom line is the science is still out on so many different treatment methods in the medicinal world and until we know more it's tough to say whether something is effective or not. I'd caution being overly confident about the healing powers of crystals and other alternative health practices though. Fifty years ago people would have thought you were certifiably insane for closing your eyes and sitting cross legged for extended periods of time or for running at a steady pace with no particular place to be. Now of course we know meditation and physical exercise are two of the more powerful brain healing activities in existence.  

I don't know much about crystals but if small bits of uranium can blow up entire cities and even the Earth as we know it, then I'm not gonna totally discount the possibility of crystals discharging some form of positive energy that realigns cells inside our bodies to our benefit. 

#4 Autonomic Space Monkey

Autonomic Space Monkey

• DPSH Members
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:03 AM

As opposed to what percent of corporate pharmaceuticals not being mumbo jumbo?

They go through stringent testing, double blind trials etc, the efficacy of them is clear to anyone who reads the results. The "healing power" of crystals have undergone no such double blind trials, & if they did I predict they would just register a small percentage the same as a placebo effect. They're just rocks. They have no healing power. It's all mumbo jumbo.

If you wanna organise & run a double blind trial of crystals, let me know how you get on. Good luck with that!

#5 Billy D.P.

Billy D.P.

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:05 AM

They go through stringent testing, double blind trials etc, the efficacy of them is clear to anyone who reads the results. The "healing power" of crystals have undergone no such double blind trials, & if they did I predict they would just register a small percentage the same as a placebo effect. They're just rocks. They have no healing power. It's all mumbo jumbo.

If you wanna organise & run a double blind trial of crystals, let me know how you get on. Good luck with that!

It's surprising to me how negative people can be on this board sometimes. Nobody has any real answers, everybody's looking for even the slightest edge in coping with this disorder, and yet when people make posts like this saying something has helped them someone always seems to be lurking right around the corner waiting to shut them down. In another thread someone posted meditation helped them heal and one of the responses was "Good for you, I guess." If people on this forum put half as much energy into being critical of others' suggestions as they did bringing awareness to this condition I think we might actually make some progress...

#6 Autonomic Space Monkey

Autonomic Space Monkey

• DPSH Members
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:45 AM

It's surprising to me how negative people can be on this board sometimes. Nobody has any real answers, everybody's looking for even the slightest edge in coping with this disorder, and yet when people make posts like this saying something has helped them someone always seems to be lurking right around the corner waiting to shut them down. In another thread someone posted meditation helped them heal and one of the responses was "Good for you, I guess." If people on this forum put half as much energy into being critical of others' suggestions as they did bringing awareness to this condition I think we might actually make some progress...

I'm not shutting them down at all, in fact in my reply to what was posted I congratulated her on the way she's looking at crystals (scroll up & have a read). All I am expressing is my opinion that crystals are not of any actual help, but just a placebo, much like what the OP has said anyway. It was you who compared them to pharmaceuticals, & I was merely pointing out the flaw in your comparison.

#7 JuniperFlame

JuniperFlame

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 05 December 2016 - 12:44 PM

I appear to have accidentally started on argument ...

#8 Autonomic Space Monkey

Autonomic Space Monkey

• DPSH Members
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:32 PM

I appear to have accidentally started on argument ...

You haven't started an argument, don't worry.

#9 Autonomic Space Monkey

Autonomic Space Monkey

• DPSH Members
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:03 AM

Don't try and tell us scientific research is 100% legit and truthful - because it's not.

It's interesting how you make stuff up, pretend that someone said it, & then argue with them based on your imaginative fabrications! I said no such thing, nor do I believe such a thing, nor am I trying to convince anyone of such a thing. For someone who promotes counselling so much you really should brush up on your CBT thinking errors, particularly "mind reading", because you make an awful lot of false assumptions about other people.

The truth is ASM, you don't actually know whether crystals have any healing power or not. 

The truth is that I've not claimed to know. Again, you seem to be imagining things & contending with me based on your assumptions. I made it very clear in post 6 that what I was expressing was merely an "opinion", nothing more.

No-one here should discourage people from seeking treatments which may help them. We see that all too often on this forum - the minute any sort of non western medicine treatment is mentioned, some narrow minded person jumps on it and attempts to discredit it and discourages anyone from trying it. Ignorant comments like that come from one of 2 places - they come from lack of knowledge, or they come from someone with an agenda.

I agree with you, & that's why in my first reply in this thread I praised the OP's attitude towards using crystals. Nowhere in this thread have I discouraged anyone from trying them. I myself have tried several things for my DPDR that are considered alternative, & I wasn't put off from trying them just because some people thought them to be nonsense.

The fact that crystals haven't been researched by science in no way means they have no value - it simply means 'science' has not looked into it yet. It's totally ridiculous that anything not researched is labeled as pseudo science, or garbage, or bollocks, a waste of time and money, lies, snake oil etc etc.... It'd be far better if scientists were truthful and told us - we don't know about the efficacy of this particular treatment yet, or we have no opinion into it's efficacy rather than the lies we hear.. 

Well if that's how you feel, go buy some & let us all know how you get on.

#10 Billy D.P.

Billy D.P.

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:00 PM

Just thought I'd post this link. Pretty relevent to the conversation...

http://www.greenmedi...not-alternative

#11 Guest_Phantasm_*

Guest_Phantasm_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:26 PM

JuniperFlame, I have a smoky quartz crystal that's said to be for grounding. I also don't necessarily believe in them, but it's a nice thing to wear, kinda like a talisman.

I think that if you use them like a trigger object to access a peaceful healing state within yourself then that can only be a positive thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users