Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Did Harris Harrington's program cure even ONE person here?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RPJ

RPJ

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 03:50 AM

I am reaching out to everyone who might've fallen for Harris Harrington's promise of being able to cure you. Not just his, but any program that claims in a know-it-all fashion that it holds the key to your recovery, such as anxietybusters.com, DPmanual.com, and Harris Harrington's program.

I have fallen for all three of these scams in my desperation (but thankfully only spent money on two of them, and in one case, got my money back). Anxietybusters.com left me high and dry because I kept asking questions about how this was supposed to work (and to Ms. Freedman, if you ever come across this thread, fuck you. Seriously.) DPmanual just told me to distract myself and do things I like, which I've been trying to do since summer and this still has not abated even an inch. And finally, we have Harris Harrington, the most known of all these programs.

What this program has in common with the others is that it's prohibitively expensive for anyone wanting help, but unlike the other two programs it is the most verbose and difficult to understand of the three. Many of Harrington's videos are too difficult for anyone with DP to follow, be it due to the needlessly sophisticated language he uses, his droning voice, the length of the videos themselves, or a combination of the three, any of which are hard for anyone with DP to pay attention to, like he demands in his videos. It begs the question if he ever actually had this disorder and isn't just trying to make a quick buck, because if he did actually have DP then he would know hard it is to follow these things.

So for this reason I am reaching out to everyone here who has tried his program. Did it cure you, like he said it would? Keep in mind, I am NOT asking if it "helped you" by making you less anxious, I am asking if his program actually CURED you of your DP. I'm calliing his bluff because I see his program as nothing more than a cynical attempt to cash in on desperate people and I truly hate him for it. I personally downloaded his program and found it extremely unhelpful and difficult to understand, and if I had paid money for it, I would be thirsting for his blood.

Again, the question is, did Harrington's program CURE you? Not make you less anxious, not make you think about DP less, I'm asking if you followed it to fruition and it actually helped you. I know he has some parachute accounts that signed up just to peddle his stupid program so I'll be looking at post histories to see if they're legit. If 90% of their posts somehow end up talking about Harrington's program in some way I'll know that they are fake.

#2 Autonomic Space Monkey

Autonomic Space Monkey

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1,273 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:35 AM

Again, the question is, did Harrington's program CURE you? Not make you less anxious, not make you think about DP less, I'm asking if you followed it to fruition and it actually helped you. I know he has some parachute accounts that signed up just to peddle his stupid program so I'll be looking at post histories to see if they're legit. If 90% of their posts somehow end up talking about Harrington's program in some way I'll know that they are fake.

If you find such accounts, let the staff know & we'll delete them. Cure is a strong word, & HH shouldn't be using that kind of language, I despise the one size fits all brigade, & actively promoting so called "cures" is against the forum guidlines: http://www.dpselfhel...lines/?p=365207

I heard one guy on here report that he had recovered using HH's method, but he did have a relapse afterward. The trouble with DPDR is that it can be triggered & perpetuated by lots of different things, & trying to "cure" it with a one size fits all approach is therefore not going to work for everybody.

Sorry to hear that you got taken in by these money making scumbags.

#3 thy

thy

• DPSH Members
  • 751 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:03 AM

Doing a poll is often the best way to find answers to these questions:

http://www.dpselfhel...ngtons-program/

Of the 12 people who responded to this poll, 1 person claims to have fully recovered. 

#4 Pondererer

Pondererer

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 433 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 29 November 2016 - 09:43 AM

I wouldn't feel to bad about "falling for these so-called scams". They might make false or unrealistic claims, but you've been turning every stone you could towards recovery by trying all these different programs. Maybe a bit naive, but you've made effort and tried to deal with this. Nevertheless, they are still good guidelines and provide good information to start recovery by

#5 Chicane

Chicane

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 414 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:44 PM

I remember when I was first hit with the panic that comes with DPDR and I bookmarked a bunch of these programs and self-help guru websites thinking "okay well at least if all else fails, I can try these." Well, all else failed and I tried one or two, but found them pretty useless. I agree with Pondererererer in that some of the principles are solid, but the problem with them is that they basically ask you to fly when you can't even walk. I then realized I had a chemical imbalance in my brain, and that trying to fix that alone was going to be extremely difficult if not impossible, which is when I realized I needed meds. It took a few different ones to feel a difference, but I'm glad I persevered and found a couple that do help, at least with the anxiety side of things.

#6 apoplexy

apoplexy

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:29 AM

I really need to take a Harris Harrington but my Dad's in the bathroom...

#7 eddy1886

eddy1886

• DPSH Members
  • 975 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:38 AM

I really need to take a Harris Harrington but my Dad's in the bathroom...

LMAO!!!

You are gonna brighten up alot of DP sufferers days today apoplexy...

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

So funny!!

Class!!!!

#8 keat0

keat0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:35 PM

If you remove the claim that it'll "cure" you and take it for what it is I don't think it's bullshit. I paid the $100. The best idea in it is to write a personal narrative to integrate trauma into your self-concept, which I just made a post on. There ya go: no need to pay the $100. Basically, he's shotgunning you with with "psycho-education" for the first half, or teaching you: CBT, recognising ego states, what codependence is, how family-related trauma affects you, how living with a narcissist affects you, how you have a different attachment style and going into "DP mode" comes from the infantile part of the brain that is saying "mommy has abandoned me". The second half he throws a hodgepodge of therapeutic techniques he think may work. 

Ok so there is one thing I believe almost as fact: Harris' program worked for Harris. That is a good sign, because you can see what practices may affect the bubble you feel in your brain. That doesn't mean that those practices are going to work for you. A lot of you may have sleep apnea, ADD, low testosterone, poor diet, severe depression, shizophrenia, and all of this is pointing to HPA-dysregulation. So, there are many ways to affect it. If your self-concept is damaged you can repair it. 

The best cure to DP I can suggest is to go to a doctor and get a full, and I mean fucking full workup. Get at a minimum: vitamin D, thyroid antibodies, t3, t4, ft3, ft4, tsh, testosterone, LH, FSH, free testosterone, estrogen. Get genetic tested by genomind and 23 and me. Then, do a sleep test. RULE OUT sleep anpea. If you have a thyroid/testosterone malfunction then FIX IT FFS. High estrogen can produce: fatigue, depression, feelings of weakness/vulnerability; etc. All of these relate!

And on the psych side of things the best cure, IMO, is Lifespan Integration with a COMPETENT therapist which may be hard to find and probably must be found in the west coast. But there are west coast therapists that do LI over Skype. So it's an option no matter where you live.

But anyways, I do think Harris is well-intentioned, but I think he fucked up on one major thing: he tells you that HE is better than a therapist. I mean, he's young, I'm young but I recognise that this is a fallacy.  Dissociative Disorders aren't new. Trauma isn't new. What happens to the brain from trauma isn't new. You need to find a therapy that processes trauma. If you didn't have a narcissistic parent or a parent/relative that damaged you when you were young then I'd at least see a therapist to rule out life-long trauma. You should be able to tell yourself if you are damaged but I'd check just in case you're in denial (seriously, I was and a therapist helped me recognize it). If the therapist clears you then ITS MEDICAL - FIND OUT WHAT IT IS!!

You shouldn't flounder in helplessness. Move the fuck on. Harris didn't personally fuck you over. You spent $100 on some interesting psych shit -cool! Guess what the world has scammers, the world is also complex and has well-intentioned people that unintentionally set you back rather than carry you forward. Be careful in whose hands you place your pysche in. Better a competent therapist where it is a professional relationship and you know you are exchanging money for no promises. Because after all you have to do the work yourself.

And honestly, I don't read a thing in this forum. It's toxic, imo. I just post the insights I have over the years and hope other people find them useful. 

#9 Blayze

Blayze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:35 PM

Hey I recently posted a link to one of his videos in a reply, but please don't ban me. I really need this site I need people to help me. I need some people who I can talk to who experience this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users