Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Question for the recovered ones.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Alex222

Alex222

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 02:43 PM

I just saw someone posted this, but no one answered.
Do you have a normal life, without symptoms, fear of relapse, can you continue with whatever you did before you got this?
I had a lot of ambition, career plans, i am young and a law student. This whole thing came with family tragedy, and panic attack. I do my best every day, i do everything to get better, i just need an answer to this, i just need to know that i can be normal again.
The point question is ONCE YOU OPEN DP AND DR DOOR, IS IT POSSIBLE TO CLOSE THEM AGAIN?

I really hope that someone will replay, and that person is optimistic about this whole thing :-)

• thy likes this

#2 Henrychinonso

Henrychinonso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 02:52 AM

That's the same feeling I've been having , I've been abusing a nasal stick, unknowingly it would affect me , I had times of severe panic attacks , moments where I thought I was having a heart attack even moments I gave up and thought I would die , if I stood I felt I would keep my balance , difficult to be alone or move out alone because I was scared I was going to faint or die but nothing happened , I finally moved on and when it hits me I face it head to head and overcome it , stop taking alcohol or sedatives that arouse drowsiness , the best way to fight dp dr is by yourself , never accept it , nothing is wrong with you . Now I'm 90% recovered I'm happy now feeling life back . Hope this helps you .And yes you can recover just be optimistic .

#3 Alex222

Alex222

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:43 PM

Thx for answering.
I think that the most important thing for people with dp is to let us know that there is hope. When someone tell us that we can recover nothing is hard. It becomes easy to workout, drink vitamins, meditate, do yoga and all the other stuff. It becomes hard to do all that in some time, but if you know that you can and will be the old self you presist on doing all that stuff.
I realy hope that the others who hawe recovered will reply also, and say to me and all the other peoples who read this post of mine that they do feel normal, and that after this nightmare they feel like normal people, and that it realy is possible to close this whole dp affair. Because the most important thing is that wind ind the wings wich gives to all of us the strenght to fight and win.
I hope i am going go feel life again, and tell my recovery story.
  • thy likes this

#4 Mydp

Mydp

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:06 AM

I'm fully recovered. I went the medication route and it worked for me. I don't fear relapse. I enjoy life and I really don't think about DP outside of this forum. I picked up right where I left off once I recovered. I'm back to being an involved mother and wife, where during dp, I was just one big bundle of fear and anxiety.

#5 eddy1886

eddy1886

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 19 November 2016 - 04:09 AM

I'm fully recovered. I went the medication route and it worked for me. I don't fear relapse. I enjoy life and I really don't think about DP outside of this forum. I picked up right where I left off once I recovered. I'm back to being an involved mother and wife, where during dp, I was just one big bundle of fear and anxiety.

Similar story! Meds while not curing me completely gave me my life back...And I was in hell.................

#6 Anna Carly

Anna Carly

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:57 PM

What meds X

#7 eddy1886

eddy1886

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:29 PM

What meds X

Atypical AntiPsychotic along with SSRI (Lowest doses of both)

Seroquel is the anti-psychotic  that seems to work best for alot of people...SSRIs on their own dont seem to do much...The anti psychotic does the hard work while the SSRI compliments it...

#8 Mydp

Mydp

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 07:18 PM

Atypical AntiPsychotic along with SSRI (Lowest doses of both)

Seroquel is the anti-psychotic that seems to work best for alot of people...SSRIs on their own dont seem to do much...The anti psychotic does the hard work while the SSRI compliments it...

Same. I take 50mg of Zoloft and 25mg of seroquel every day.

#9 Alex222

Alex222

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:51 AM

And you are going to take this meds for the rest of your lives, or you're having it untill you get completly recovered and then you stop (start with smaler dose untill completly stop)?

This is the case, i think very small amount of people with dp want to take the meds forever... Aspecialy anti-psyhotics, it just sounds so scary because we all know for wath kind of "problems" doctors prescribe them, and that would be like we admit to have psyhotic problem, and we do not.

That is my opininion. But i am very happy for you, and thank you for answering my post. It is very good to know that it is possible to let go this "episode" of life, and live a normal one.
I want to solve this problem without medication, i started taking some herb products, and we will see...
I hope that i will recover also, and that i will be in position to write recovery story...

#10 Mydp

Mydp

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:57 PM

And you are going to take this meds for the rest of your lives, or you're having it untill you get completly recovered and then you stop (start with smaler dose untill completly stop)?

This is the case, i think very small amount of people with dp want to take the meds forever... Aspecialy anti-psyhotics, it just sounds so scary because we all know for wath kind of "problems" doctors prescribe them, and that would be like we admit to have psyhotic problem, and we do not.

That is my opininion. But i am very happy for you, and thank you for answering my post. It is very good to know that it is possible to let go this "episode" of life, and live a normal one.
I want to solve this problem without medication, i started taking some herb products, and we will see...
I hope that i will recover also, and that i will be in position to write recovery story...

THank you. I hope to read your recovery story one day soon.

As far as the medication goes, I'm okay with taking it forever if I need to. I don't have any side effects any longer and I come from a family where mental illness is not stigmatized so any ties the medication has to other disorders doesn't bother me. Antipsychotics are prescribed for a multitude of reasons. I know I was not and am not psychotic, but I do have mental illness (panic and anxiety for me) and the medications help those tremendously in my case.

That said, I definitely know they are not for every one. And they aren't the only option for you to consider. Therapy has been very valuable and productive for many members, along with other options and techniques. It's all about finding what works for you.

#11 Rudyrudy

Rudyrudy

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:20 PM

I'm not "recovered", but I have a pretty good life. I got dp six years ago and I've come a long long way. I graduated college, travel the world, have close friends, and live my life. I have a job as a case manager where I work with a lot of people who have mental health problems. Last year I worked in an inpatient psych hospital, its funny how life works out. I don't know if I'll ever "recover" completely, whatever that may be. I'm used to living with this feeling and I don't know if it'll ever go away. It's who I am now, It's how my life has played out. It's a blessing and a curse and it makes me, me. I use it to my advantage ; ) there is no one like me.  Six years ago I was in a deep dark hole and now I'm living life and doing what I like.  Changing my diet to a whole food plant based one helped tremendously. I never took any meds.

#12 partiedtoohard

partiedtoohard

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

I'm not "recovered", but I have a pretty good life. I got dp six years ago and I've come a long long way. I graduated college, travel the world, have close friends, and live my life. I have a job as a case manager where I work with a lot of people who have mental health problems. Last year I worked in an inpatient psych hospital, its funny how life works out. I don't know if I'll ever "recover" completely, whatever that may be. I'm used to living with this feeling and I don't know if it'll ever go away. It's who I am now, It's how my life has played out. It's a blessing and a curse and it makes me, me. I use it to my advantage ; ) there is no one like me.  Six years ago I was in a deep dark hole and now I'm living life and doing what I like.  Changing my diet to a whole food plant based one helped tremendously. I never took any meds.

Rudy would you explain what feelings you still have of DP?

I feel as if i dont have any MAJOR symptoms of DP/DR, but there is a feeling of being "off" or "different" like something is just a tad off and I cant get back to 100%.
Have you been able to go a while without remembering that you have the disorder? I have only been about one hour so far without being able to thing about my feelings being off.  It has been almost a year for me. I am still holding onto hope that I will recover 100% and I can go all day without thinking that I feel different or remembering what happened about a year ago. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users