Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

The vestibular body: Vestibular contributions to bodily representations.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 morph

morph

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:38 AM

http://www.tandfonli...94.2016.1168390

Anxiety changes depersonalization and derealization symptoms in vestibular patients:

https://www.hindawi....bn/2014/847054/

Edited by morph, 28 April 2017 - 02:47 PM.

#2 Broken

Broken

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

Very interesting. I also had THIS when my DP started. I'm not sure there's much I didn't have.. but I fainted before vomiting after eating weed and woke up with severe abdo pain, chronic dp, but also was severely off balance.. never actually considered that symptom relevant before. I mean I could not walk straight because of the pain but was also the only time i've experienced vertigo like that not knowing what way was up. Visually I could see but my body was just a mess like it had never experienced gravity before.. Something else to add to the list.. I'm running out of paper :)

#3 Billy D.P.

Billy D.P.

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, this is interesting for sure, especially with regards to spacial recognition as I've had basically catastrophic problems with my visual-spacial recognition system ever since getting DP. Also, I had terrible ear infections as a child and so I have to wonder if perhaps there's a connection there.

Sometimes it's difficult reading too many studies because they all seem promising and yet all point to entirely different regions of the brain and then different functions of those very regions. Spacial recognition seems to be linked to so many different parts of the brain and same goes for sense of self. I kinda wonder if the term "Depersonalization-Derealization" is much more broad than we realize and can come in a wide variety of forms based on each person's brain and life experiences. I just get the feeling in reading all this that we're not gonna find an exact region of malfunction, but rather several different regions and mechanisms inside the brain that can severe the mind-body connection.  

#4 morph

morph

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

It is interesting, and it appears to be an area of research that is often overlooked.

Anomalous vestibular sensations and research into the unsusual sleep experiences associated with daytime dissociation are of particular interest to me, as I've always experienced vestibular-motor hallucinations and out-of body experiences during the hypnagogic/ hypnopompic states.

#5 Pondererer

Pondererer

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

Yeah, this is interesting for sure, especially with regards to spacial recognition as I've had basically catastrophic problems with my visual-spacial recognition system ever since getting DP. Also, I had terrible ear infections as a child and so I have to wonder if perhaps there's a connection there.

Sometimes it's difficult reading too many studies because they all seem promising and yet all point to entirely different regions of the brain and then different functions of those very regions. Spacial recognition seems to be linked to so many different parts of the brain and same goes for sense of self. I kinda wonder if the term "Depersonalization-Derealization" is much more broad than we realize and can come in a wide variety of forms based on each person's brain and life experiences. I just get the feeling in reading all this that we're not gonna find an exact region of malfunction, but rather several different regions and mechanisms inside the brain that can severe the mind-body connection.  

Wow, almost kinda spooky when i read it, because i was exactly the same. Several horrible ear infections as a small child

#6 Broken

Broken

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

Coming back to this topic.. I have been on mirtazapine for 10 days now and have actually noticed some positive but subtle effects. Definitely better mood, sleep, and appetite all having been affected quickly.. Anyway. I used to get crackling/popping in my ears ALL the time whenever I dry swallowed without food/drink. That has COMPLETELY gone. Strange, but I just noticed that sitting here breathing through my nose I felt air kind of whizzing into my ear lol. Its like there was definite contraction in the ear canal before (seriously affecting my hearing) and now it is passing. And I've read things other than this thread about anxiety and adrenaline etc affecting the ear canal like this. Anyone else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users