Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Recommended TV Series For Distraction From DP/DR

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Autonomic Space Monkey

Autonomic Space Monkey

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1,273 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:10 AM

Watching TV shows is so easy now in this age of digital streaming, & some of us find them a good distraction from our DP/DR. In this thread please feel free to recommened & comment about the ones you found enjoyable & that distracted you from your symptoms.

FRINGE - Absolutely loved this one. Season 1 is great, but season 2 gets off to a bad start, & then improves radically after a few episodes.

#2 the_nomad

the_nomad

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

Yeah, Fringe is awesome but I only watched the first.

The old seasons of the X-Files could be distracting if you hadn't watched, it helped me. There are some bad episodes among the seasons though. Besides that Breaking Bad and Dexter come to mind.

#3 Blueyellowred23

Blueyellowred23

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:33 PM

Cooking shows!! I love to cook, but since having dp I haven't been really motivated to do much. When I watch cooking shows, I get super interested and forget about all my problems. I love cheesy cooking shows like hells kitchen, cutthroat kitchen and diners drives Inns and dives. I just find it so relaxing. Netflix and hulu has a bunch of cooking shows too.

#4 Ianar

Ianar

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 11:04 AM

The best seen are shows I've viewed to completion or latest point are (though didn't watch whilst dp'd): The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Rome, Deadwood, Justified, Vikings, Six Feet Under, Game of Thrones (not as huge on as everyone else for some reason). Dexter, Prison Break & 24 are decent enough. Being Human is fun & worth watching.

#5 KJames

KJames

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 143 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands, UK

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:30 PM

Sons of Anarchy

#6 microspect

microspect

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:13 PM

breaking bad, game of thrones, walking dead are really good for distracting thoughts. 

#7 Queen Frick

Queen Frick

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:17 PM

This is what helped me

• Game of Thrones
  • Breaking Bad
  • House (first few seasons 'cause the later ones kinda triggered my DPDR)
  • X-files
  • Law and Order: SVU 
  • The Vikings (I learned after I was related to the real life Rollo, Judith, Aethelwulf etc. so while you watch that remember that you're watching a reenactment of my family having sex)
  • Unbreakable Kimmy Schmit
  • The Path (I'm rlly into it right now)

#8 luctor et emergo

luctor et emergo

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:58 AM

Why don't you and King Elliott hook up?

A royal couple on this board is exactly what we need. ;-)

#9 Alex617

Alex617

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:24 AM

When it gets bad nothing really helps, it's just too hard to stay focused when I see these weird people acting some silly story. I prefer to watch youtube vlogs like bignoknow talking about dp/dr and how to get out of it.

#10 RaF

RaF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:02 PM

Dexter apart from gore scenes is all about the main guy's psychology, which is close to DP...
Also I enjoyed Misfits, all chars find how to be funny even with all the shit they live. One new person arrives season 3 and he's kinda schizo, some nice representation of DP IMO.

#11 Autonomic Space Monkey

Autonomic Space Monkey

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1,273 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 09 July 2016 - 04:26 AM

Posting this topic reminded me how much I liked FRINGE, so I've been buying each series & watching them again, I'm enjoying it even more this time around. The other day I watched 15 episodes in one day, it was a great distraction. I also bought some A&W Root Beer (very hard to get the proper American stuff here in the UK), & had 3 cans whilst watching. That high fructose corn syrup should be reclassified as a narcotic! I love root beer, it tatstes fricking incredible. Series 4 has been ordered, just waiting for it to arrive.

:D

#12 meltdowner

meltdowner

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:54 AM

Watching TV shows is so easy now in this age of digital streaming, & some of us find them a good distraction from our DP/DR. In this thread please feel free to recommened & comment about the ones you found enjoyable & that distracted you from your symptoms.

FRINGE - Absolutely loved this one. Season 1 is great, but season 2 gets off to a bad start, & then improves radically after a few episodes.

Amazing post!! Love the idea of just sitting down and being able to enjoy a long rollercoaster TV show with DR! Brings the best out of me.

I would say something you are emotionally connected to or can really relate will make you stick to the show. 

For me it was LOST. Ive heard quite a bit about fringe being similar to LOST, so I may just check it out now that a fellow DPSH member posted it. I stay clear from shows that revolve around an intricate storyline where you cannot miss anything or youll be lost and confused and might stress yourself out.

These I would very well recommend:

Arrested Development

The Walking Dead (THEME is awesome but can get really repetitive)

Vampire Diaries (if youre into the whole love theme)

Documentaries are always interesting if you find one you like

The Office

Friends - laugh relieves my stress

X - Files - Cause each episode I believe has a different storyline (or it loosely continues) So it isnt difficult to follow. And still very enjoyable and intriguing.

I could go on forever lol, but I dont want to confuse you. These are some of THE BEST for me.

Question for you. What makes Fringe so special to you compared to Bones, CSI, etc? Or just in general if you havent watched shows like Bones and CSI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users