Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Looking for help building website about DP/DR

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 tantebootsy

tantebootsy

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:52 PM

Hi,

my name is Michael from Germany and I'd like to build an informative, well usable website about DP/DR. I've already contacted the guys from depersonalisation.org but he/she/they never answered my offer to help updating their site. Additionally it seems like their site got hacked a few weeks ago ...

A few minutes ago I wrote an email to the guys from Depersonalization.info offering my help and waiting for their feedback. As their website seems to be pretty much outdated I guess they're interested in some help. 

Working for about 5 years within the web-IT-business I’ve some knowledge in building websites and as a sufferer of DP for over 20 years I know how important it is to inform sufferers about this condition.

As working with others is often more fun and as I want to reduce my time sitting in front of the pc (as it intensifies my DP) I'd like to ask you boyz and girlz out there for some help, if you're interested and have some free time left. :) I can imagine help regarding programming/technical stuff, writing texts, bringing up ideas, giving feedback to fundraising or whatever comes to your mind.

Talking about time: I guess you and me, we have a lot of ideas regarding the content and functionality of the site but as everything takes its time I don't expect it to evolve quickly. For me that's okay – I hope it's okay for you, too :)

Ah, and If you know any other info-site about DP please let me know. I usually think it makes sense to join forces whererever possible ...

Cheers,

Michael

#2 Surfer Rosa

Surfer Rosa

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 714 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

I don't have any web design or psychology background, but I'll be following this thread. Stealing traffic from the scam websites, something the dated info sites fail to do, would be excellent.

#3 vanuti vetru

vanuti vetru

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:55 PM

This is a good idea but i was thinking... why not make this new site a part of dpselfhelp.com? Articles could be added as static pages or as "locked" topics to in a dedicated section. Alternatively a wiki-type script could be used. The idea would be to have a fixed knowledge base of sorts, a place where newcomers could find answers to their common questions. I often see new members here who describe typical DP symptoms and don't get many responses because hardly anyone is willing to reiterate what has been said so many times before (what's understandable).

#4 mana_war

mana_war

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:51 PM

Sadly I have no tech skills of knowledge, but If you have instructions I am a fast learner, would like to be of help any way you would see fit for me.

#5 handshaker

handshaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:23 AM

Hi,

my name is Michael from Germany and I'd like to build an informative, well usable website about DP/DR. I've already contacted the guys from depersonalisation.org but he/she/they never answered my offer to help updating their site. Additionally it seems like their site got hacked a few weeks ago ...

A few minutes ago I wrote an email to the guys from Depersonalization.info offering my help and waiting for their feedback. As their website seems to be pretty much outdated I guess they're interested in some help. 

Working for about 5 years within the web-IT-business I’ve some knowledge in building websites and as a sufferer of DP for over 20 years I know how important it is to inform sufferers about this condition.

As working with others is often more fun and as I want to reduce my time sitting in front of the pc (as it intensifies my DP) I'd like to ask you boyz and girlz out there for some help, if you're interested and have some free time left. :) I can imagine help regarding programming/technical stuff, writing texts, bringing up ideas, giving feedback to fundraising or whatever comes to your mind.

Talking about time: I guess you and me, we have a lot of ideas regarding the content and functionality of the site but as everything takes its time I don't expect it to evolve quickly. For me that's okay – I hope it's okay for you, too :)

Ah, and If you know any other info-site about DP please let me know. I usually think it makes sense to join forces whererever possible ...

Cheers,

Michael

Hi, 

I think this is a great idea. I can help you with aspects of the website and promotion. 

Have you thought about creating a very well edited promo video to draw attention to the issue, then maybe post a kickstarter thread, to see if people will help fund for a good cause....

#6 something6789

something6789

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

Hi,

Cheers,

Michael

I've done some really really simple stuff with web dev. By no means can I do programming or design a web page from the ground up. But I was in charge of updating AP and payroll webpages at my old job and I did some web design stuff at an internship I had. I'm genuinely curious to see how the process works again, as I intend to create a food blog one of these days and want to get my feet wet somewhere. Maybe I can help you and you can help me?

Ps. if you're not interested in generating ad revenue from visits you can get free hosting and a stylish widget type site in exchange for generating the ad revenue for someone else, or so I've heard. Also my experience was on a paid for word-press site updating pages and adding on new pages for various product offerings the company had and its not super difficult from what I remember. 

#7 tantebootsy

tantebootsy

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:56 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm happy to see some reactions regarding my idea thanks for all your feedback! :) I'll answer to everyone in detail, so that nothing gets lost:

I don't have any web design or psychology background, but I'll be following this thread. Stealing traffic from the scam websites, something the dated info sites fail to do, would be excellent.

I'm currently only aware of _one_ info site: depersonallization.info. Do you know anymore? If yes please tell me/us because I'd like to contact the publisher as I think networking is always important especially regarding a subject, where there's not many people writing about it.

This is a good idea but i was thinking... why not make this new site a part of dpselfhelp.com? Articles could be added as static pages or as "locked" topics to in a dedicated section. Alternatively a wiki-type script could be used. The idea would be to have a fixed knowledge base of sorts, a place where newcomers could find answers to their common questions. I often see new members here who describe typical DP symptoms and don't get many responses because hardly anyone is willing to reiterate what has been said so many times before (what's understandable).

I don't want to use this forum as an alternative to a well structured website which potentially can have more features like newsletters, online-tools, news etc. A wiki-based solution is generally a good idea I think but from my experience wikis sometimes get chaotic and also the navigation and content management is often not very userfriendly. So for a first shot I'd like to stick to the CMS-solution we'll see how this works and maybe change the system if we see there are better alternatives.

Sadly I have no tech skills of knowledge, but If you have instructions I am a fast learner, would like to be of help any way you would see fit for me.

Thanks for your offer! :) I guess the most time will be consumed not by the technical stuff but by creating the texts. Could you image yourself as editor or what would you like to do? What is your passion? :)

Hi, 

I think this is a great idea. I can help you with aspects of the website and promotion. 

Have you thought about creating a very well edited promo video to draw attention to the issue, then maybe post a kickstarter thread, to see if people will help fund for a good cause....

Yes I thought about kickstarting, but all this promo-stuff is currently not my scene ;) So if you would like to take over that part feel welcome! :) Regarding a short info-film I have the idea to ask some film schools here in Germany if they might be interested make a film about DP as one of their projects. Don't know if it's realistic but it's worth asking I think. And regarding money I want to ask some health insurances and maybe government institutions if it's possible to fund some money for our work.

I've done some really really simple stuff with web dev. By no means can I do programming or design a web page from the ground up. But I was in charge of updating AP and payroll webpages at my old job and I did some web design stuff at an internship I had. I'm genuinely curious to see how the process works again, as I intend to create a food blog one of these days and want to get my feet wet somewhere. Maybe I can help you and you can help me?

Ps. if you're not interested in generating ad revenue from visits you can get free hosting and a stylish widget type site in exchange for generating the ad revenue for someone else, or so I've heard. Also my experience was on a paid for word-press site updating pages and adding on new pages for various product offerings the company had and its not super difficult from what I remember. 

Thanks for your offer but I don't want to go for work-exchange here, as I want to limit my work in front of the pc only to the webpage itself, not to other sideprojects as PC-work intensivies my DP. I hope you can understand that. And btw: if you support the website-progress you wouldn't help _me_ but "the community" as I see it ;) Thanks for your input, maybe you're going to help me/us despite the fact that you're not getting anything back (yet) ...?  :)

I don't want to have ads on the site as the users shall feel that they're on a trustworthy page. I resell webspace on my own / we have our own server, so hosting's not a problem.

Ok, I'm done for now within the next days I'll give you guys an update about what has been done within the last weeks.

Cheers,

Michael

#8 Guest_jus7_*

Guest_jus7_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2016 - 10:02 PM

i don't have a web background, as for DP and psychology i do,  i would be happy to help you and offer something.

#9 tantebootsy

tantebootsy

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:34 AM

Hello everyone,

long time no see ;)

In the meanwhile I contacted Jeff Abugel from depersonallization.info to ask him if he was interested in working together regarding a new website for DP/DR. He says he can support us regarding networking because as he already (co)authered some books on DP/DR he has contacts to researchers etc.

I then created a sitemap for our new website which you can find here (you can understand this sitemap as a "dream"-version of the website in the far future. I'd propose to start off with a reduced version with much less content first).

http://depersonaliza...itemap-V1.0.pdf

At last a few weeks ago I managed to create a wiki on the topic We can gather the content in the wiki and then move it to the website as soon as we think it's enough information. Of course we will be able to add more content to the existing site after the going live. You can find the wiki here:

http://wiki.deperson...alization.info/

Please register to be able to add content. If you have comments please add them with background-color on the text as I did. Until now I didn't find a better solution for comments yet, but I'm on it. If you dare you can add your real name to the comment but of course you're not forced to. ;) It simply makes it easier to discuss things if you know who wrote the comment.

Nothing I've done so far is "fixed and finished" – it's just a start from my point of view. So if you would like to discuss things, have additional ideas, proposals etc. let's use this thread for it. Maybe we'll move to another software to discuss things but for now I think this forum's enough.

Looking forward to hear from you!

Cheers,

Michael

#10 TDX

TDX

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:57 AM

Your idea is good, but I'm not sure yet if I will contribute, because Elliott and I are more or less working on a wiki ourselfs, for which I already have built some content. The concept of it is more to build a book about depersonalization disorder. Concerning the content it is intended to be academic and very critical, particulary when it comes to mischiefs (this especially relates to Michal).

Unfortunately I made the experience that many people are not really willing or able to work on this level, but in my opinion it's the only way such a project should be done, if the intention is to improve the situation.

#11 tantebootsy

tantebootsy

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

I contacted Elliott some time ago. He told me you were thinking about a wiki but didn't create one yet. So let's join forces here and work together I'd say, no?

M*

#12 ThirdEye

ThirdEye

Server Technician

• DPSH Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

Elliot is working on something, very impressive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users