Just had a listen to your track on my Digital Village DAW through my M-Audio Delta 66/Omni Studio & Alesis Monitor One MK2 Active monitors; & it's sounding pretty damn fine! Nice seperation, no frequency masking, good levels, & a decent club mix. It sounds very much of it's genre & is a solid pastiche. Good job. That said, I'm presuming of course that it's all written from scratch, & is not some construction kit that's been frankensteined together?
Oh yeah. I write about 75% of my melodies and the other 25% is heavily modified remixes of other melodies. I'm much better at composing than engineering though, sadly. The label I'm releasing my EP on is setting me up with someone to help finish the mixdowns and do the mastering.
Maybe it also doesn't help that I'm doing all the mixing through a sound system chosen for loudness and listening value rather than monitoring. I've got 2kw RMS of equipment - enough to make my whole street rock - but the speakers are the complete opposite of flat. They boost around 1khz with high Q and then there's a gentle low pass from about 8khz upwards. It's great for listening to music at loud volumes because the high end is heavily attenuated so it hurts your ears less but, useless for production. I've also got the problem of having 2 500w subs that each have their own adjustable amplification control so it's literally impossible for me to aurally identify the objective balance between sub freqencies and everything else. I rely on reference tracks to do it. After the subs, I've got 4 standard speakers at about 250w each. None of them have tweeters or anything. Just standard integrated <100hz speakers. My standard configuration is 2 speakers on left channel and 2 on right, which makes everything sound super wide, even if its not. For just listening to music and making everything sound great, it's a fantastic setup. For producing, it's fucking awful.
Thanks for having a listen through your proper equipment. I'm jealous! Although I don't know how much difference it would make, frankly, because my main limitation is my sound perception (make worse by DP) rather than my equipment. I'm glad the mix is sounding good. It's obviously a pre-master mix but I think there's a quick Maximus or Ozone or something on the master channel.
After I finish my UK hardcore EP and terrorcore EP, I'm going back to producing lo-fi because it's just music for people who can compose but can't mix. In seriousness though, I love some of the sounds you can achieve with some simple sine/saw wave layering, modulation and distortion:
I think I made all but one of the sounds for that track myself. Some of my friends thought it sucked and the others thought it was the best thing I'd ever produced. I guess lo-fi is pretty divisive. Well, that track at least. I guess it's because it relies on sound design and subtle build-up rather than anything with smack-you-in-the-face impact like most of my rave tracks. I love it personally though. Even now, the combination of sounds in the final phase can make me shiver sometimes. Unsuprisingly, I wrote and produced it in a few hours, which has often been the case for my best tracks.
What do you produce?