Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

voices

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#13 paranoidandroid

paranoidandroid

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 200 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:34 AM

I've experienced this as well. I think that it's just something that happens with everybody.

#14 vannasarous

vannasarous

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:53 AM

This is fairly normal, I get this a lot before I sleep which can be annoying. Schizophrenia as far as I'm aware is hearing voices that seem very real to you, and which you can not distinguish from actual voices. The fact that you are considering you have schizophrenia and are worried about these symptoms is a sign you probably don't have much wrong with you, just heightened anxiety from focusing on every little thing you may see as a symptom.

I get it before I fall asleep too. It just scares the shit out of me. I do pick out every little thing that may be wrong with me, and I obsess over it!

#15 Alex617

Alex617

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 01:32 PM

I get it before I fall asleep too. It just scares the shit out of me. I do pick out every little thing that may be wrong with me, and I obsess over it!

Find a way to relax your worried mind, and this will go away. I made the decision to use benzos (i.e valium), which helped a lot, but I am now dependent on them for sleep unfortunately so I would try to find another way if at all possible.

#16 ThoughtOnFire

ThoughtOnFire

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:42 PM

The before sleep thing is the most common, they call it Hypnagogia or Hypnagogic Hallucinations

Hypnagogic or hypnopompic hallucinations are visual, tactile, auditory, or other sensory events, usually brief but occasionally prolonged, that occur at the transition from wakefulness to sleep (hypnagogic) or from sleep to wakefulness (hypnopompic). The phenomenon is thought to have been first described by the Dutch physician Isbrand Van Diemerbroeck in 1664.[1] The person may hear sounds that are not there and see visual hallucinations. These visual and auditory images are very vivid and may be bizarre or disturbing.

There is scientific conjecture, though it's not officially recognized, that the Hallucinations of Hypnagogia are from the release of a small amount of the chemical DMT - Dimethyltryptamine. DMT is known as a psychedelic compound, though it's known to actually be a naturally forming chemical made in our brains, most likely in or around the Pineal Gland. The Pineal Gland IS officially known to produce Melatonin, which is the Sleep Chemical. (It is also theorized that DMT is released in larger amounts during near death experiences.)

#17 Dr B

Dr B

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:01 AM

Most people hear voices at some point in their life.  However, most people do not have this occurring regularly.  Voices come from the inappropriate activation in speech / inner voice centres in the brain.  If you are merely 'feeling' that you hear voices then that's something different.   ;)  

#18 vannasarous

vannasarous

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:25 PM

I did a little research on what I was experiencing myself, and I found that it's a racing mind. A racing mind doesn't only consist of your inner monologue going from one thing to another, but it can be things in the background and it could be music playing, snips of a movie, or something someone has said to you, or books etc and it can be a bunch of it going on all at once. Either in your voice, others voices, and it's not something you're controlling it's just doing it by itself. It's different than hearing voices like all schizophrenic would. Racing mind is common with ocd, bipolar, anxiety.

#19 Aus29

Aus29

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:41 AM

I have this big time, anyone have luck with certain tools or meds to assist with this?

#20 Aus29

Aus29

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:47 AM

#21 Surfer Rosa

Surfer Rosa

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 738 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:34 AM

You need to clarify whether or not you imagining hearing the voice, or actually hallucinating it. I have imagined voices before, like most people have. With dissiciation, the inner monologue gets more elaborate and can include other identities. If you don't like this experience, you can try to ground and refocus instead of chatting with them.

#22 oshuway

oshuway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

at the onset of all of my anxieties and physical symptoms, one of the first things i experienced were the voices of the people i knew talking to each other in my mind.  from best friends to relatives even to imagined, made-up people.  it was one of the scariest symptoms i've experienced to this day.  and at the time, i always thought that i would slip into believing that they were real.  that was one of my greatest fears that i had at the time, along with losing control and going crazy.

the way i went about rationalizing it was by saying that since i were a young boy i've always sung songs in my head in the voices of the actual singer/songwriter's.  as in, the radio songs, i never sang those in my own voice when i was having it play in my mind.  i found it bizarre that there was so much stigma surrounding the chattering voices in a person's mind, while on the other hand people welcome the voices of popular singers into theirs.  

after the voices in my head settled down, which took a couple of weeks, i still had short bouts of dealing with it before i fell asleep and on an occasion, during the day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users