Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

voices

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 theuniversetalkingtoitself

theuniversetalkingtoitself

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

For a long time I sometimes "hear voices." For instance, if I spend a lot of time talking to a friend, my inner voice might be in their voice for a while. It's not just my thoughts in their voice, it's things they might say in their voice, mixed with things I might say (also in their voice). I can also have conversations between friends in my mind in their voices. I have always just thought this was theory of mind. I have a model of them in my head and it's possible for me to run the model. Is this normal?

#2 Guest_ThoughtOnFire_*

Guest_ThoughtOnFire_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

I have this.

Feel free to pm me about it.

You are not alone.

#3 theuniversetalkingtoitself

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

Thanks. I found this really good article about it:

http://www.mentalhea...hearing-voices/

I have never recognized my voices as "me." If I am in the shower and I am thinking about something, I might rely on a friend's advice by running a model of what I think they might say in their voice in my head. Or, if I am planning to have a conversation with someone, I might simulate the interaction including by saying what I think they might say in their voice in my head.

This seems basically normal. I mean, I don't know if most people do this, but it doesn't seem unhealthy. 

I think I still just have PTSD, smoked too much weed and did too much coke that one time. I don't think I can ever go back from DP. I just have to learn to live with it. I actually don't find it to be that unrealistic of a perspective, it's just hard because the rest of culture is so egocentric that I don't have very much support or anyone to talk to.

Well, except my voices, I guess. 

• thy likes this

#4 Guest_ThoughtOnFire_*

Guest_ThoughtOnFire_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:36 AM

Do you also feel energies/vibes since dissociation started?

#5 theuniversetalkingtoitself

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:54 AM

I don't and I can't imagine what that would be like. I am very much against pseudoscience and suspicious of 'energy' etc so that would freak me out beyond belief. I also know a lot about psychology so I think that's why I rationalized the voices as theory of mind right away and just assumed it happened to everyone. That said, even knowing a lot about psychology has not made the fog of PTSD easy to see through. Insensitivity to reward is just terrible. It's so hard to see through it until everything starts falling apart.. at least for me.

#6 dpsucks

dpsucks

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:07 AM

ive also experienced this before

#7 vannasarous

vannasarous

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:18 PM

Is this common with dp/dr? I experience this too, and never knew how to put it into words, and it freaks me out bc I'm convinced it's a sign of schizophrenia.

#8 ThoughtOnFire

ThoughtOnFire

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:35 PM

Is this common with dp/dr? I experience this too, and never knew how to put it into words, and it freaks me out bc I'm convinced it's a sign of schizophrenia.

Can you explain how it is for you?

#9 vannasarous

vannasarous

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:32 PM

Can you explain how it is for you?

Pretty much the same thing. I couldn't have put it in words better. It makes me wanna cry when it happens bc it freaks me out bc I'm terrified to be schizo, but my sister and brother said that it both happens to them so idk if it's like a normal thing or not ya know?

#10 ThoughtOnFire

ThoughtOnFire

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 963 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:42 PM

Pretty much the same thing. I couldn't have put it in words better. It makes me wanna cry when it happens bc it freaks me out bc I'm terrified to be schizo, but my sister and brother said that it both happens to them so idk if it's like a normal thing or not ya know?

Yeah I've heard of others without DP/DR or really any mental health problems having this happening to them.

#11 vannasarous

vannasarous

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:24 PM

Yeah I've heard of others without DP/DR or really any mental health problems having this happening to them.

That makes me feel a lot better, or sometimes I'll just randomly hear my dad's voice in my head with like a conversation we had when I'm like in the zone doing things.

#12 Alex617

Alex617

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:50 PM

That makes me feel a lot better, or sometimes I'll just randomly hear my dad's voice in my head with like a conversation we had when I'm like in the zone doing things.

This is fairly normal, I get this a lot before I sleep which can be annoying. Schizophrenia as far as I'm aware is hearing voices that seem very real to you, and which you can not distinguish from actual voices. The fact that you are considering you have schizophrenia and are worried about these symptoms is a sign you probably don't have much wrong with you, just heightened anxiety from focusing on every little thing you may see as a symptom.

• Zed likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users