Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Vinnie Paz made a song about DP/DR

23K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  ThoughtOnFire 
#1 ·
So if you dont know who Vinnie Paz is, he's the leader of the underground rap group Jedi Mind Tricks... He's had DP for 20 + years. He just released this song about DP/DR. Awesome awareness for Depersonalization. Check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSfcUzGTdk#t=69

#4 ·
Holy fucking shit. I stopped posting here months ago, but I HAD to stop by real quick when I saw he dropped this single today. I'm glad I'm not the only one who picked up on this and appreciates good Hip Hop.

Damn. I didn't realize Vinnie suffered from DP. I've been following dude for years. That shit really caught me off guard man. Incredible...

G
#16 · (Edited)
Think about what a brave thing what he does. I was scared to tell about my DP to (almost) anyone while I had it. He makes a song about it. I respect that.
For me personally, it makes ME feel not so alone. A lot of sites come and go and have different reasons to exist. Money, pushing certain drugs or like us trying to help but just lose interest.

Something like this track will exist "forever" as I've always said this place will. Forever is short lived as in a lifetime. Thankfully we have a next generation that will be taught the importance of this place and the people that are there.

Seeing this track just makes it more REAL to me, at least.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've had it on repeat too. Vinnie is one brave dude (and is also a metal head, admin) for putting this out. I did some research online about his depersonalization and was able to find one interview from a few years ago. He has indeed struggled for years. He said that he had an extremely hard time touring after Violent By Design was released because of his disorder and had to force himself to leave Philadelphia through severe panic and anxiety. He even said that a few weeks before 9/11 he was touring in Los Angeles and became suicidal because mentally everything became so difficult while he was so far from home.

#19 ·
I've been a member of this forum for over 9 years. I haven't come here in years though because I don't really have DP/DR like I did in 2005-2007 when I almost wanted to kill myself. I have been a Vinnie Paz fan for a long time. My friend, who I've known for 9 years and met via this forum text me about this song/video. I literally watched it 20 times last night. I got chills everytime I watched I watched it. I can relate to pretty much every word he says. Like someone else said, that line about the bed don't work and dead don't work is crazy. It used to go through my head every minute of everyday. I sent the video to my parents. I still can't believe this song was made. I sent him a private Facebook message, but I doubt he'll respond.

What a powerful song. Unreal.

#20 ·
I've had it on repeat too. Vinnie is one brave dude (and is also a metal head, admin) for putting this out. I did some research online about his depersonalization and was able to find one interview from a few years ago. He has indeed struggled for years. He said that he had an extremely hard time touring after Violent By Design was released because of his disorder and had to force himself to leave Philadelphia through severe panic and anxiety. He even said that a few weeks before 9/11 he was touring in Los Angeles and became suicidal because mentally everything became so difficult while he was so far from home.
Can you post the link to the interview?

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
http://www.unkut.com/2012/10/vinnie-paz-the-unkut-interview/

Here's the part about dp:

Did you start touring heavily after that album?

I have something called 'Depersonalization Disorder'. It was creating severe panic and separation anxiety with leaving Philadelphia. At one point I was like, 'I'm never gonna tour'. This was before it was getting really bad with internet bootlegging, so some part of me thought I could make a living and still not touring. Obviously later on, I realized that wasn't gonna happen. I remember going to LA, three weeks before 9/11 happened, and I was a wreck emotionally the whole time I was there. Really contemplating suicide and shit. It wasn't until I saw the right people and realized that a lot of that shit is chemical imbalances in your brain. It's still debilitating, but it's something that I'm able to get through. I love performing, but I want to get back to my old bed that night. If I could perform in Greece and Switzerland and go home the same night to my bed? I would tour 200 days a year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.