• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 PlayCrackTheSky

PlayCrackTheSky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

Does 5-htp make anyone elses DP worse here? I started taking 50mg at night, last night was my 3rd time taking it and today I had anxiety all day and then went out and got a huge DP hit, that "I'm so not here right now, this is just a dream, I'm gonna wake up any minute" But I'm depressed, I started taking this stuff to kill my depression and anxiety! I need to take something, I can't be depressed anymore, I just can't. Anyone experience this with 5htp? If so, how long does it take to get out of the system? The last time I took it was last night and I'm still buggin out. Or do I just need to stick this out (continue taking the 5-htp) and it will get better? Oh, the 5-htp seems to be helping with the depression too,it's just giving me more panic and that disconnected feeling to the 10th power.

#2 scienceguy

scienceguy

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

Does 5-htp make anyone elses DP worse here? I started taking 50mg at night, last night was my 3rd time taking it and today I had anxiety all day and then went out and got a huge DP hit, that "I'm so not here right now, this is just a dream, I'm gonna wake up any minute" But I'm depressed, I started taking this stuff to kill my depression and anxiety! I need to take something, I can't be depressed anymore, I just can't. Anyone experience this with 5htp? If so, how long does it take to get out of the system? The last time I took it was last night and I'm still buggin out. Or do I just need to stick this out (continue taking the 5-htp) and it will get better? Oh, the 5-htp seems to be helping with the depression too,it's just giving me more panic and that disconnected feeling to the 10th power.

many people have got your reaction to 5htp and ssri's to DP/DR in general anything that raises seritonin is not good for DP/DR contrary to what some "experts" might want you to believe. Please review my tread titaled determined to find that magic pill and you'll see more disscussion about this. As for the best thing to combat depression or those intrusive thoughts from DP I would highly suggest inositol.

#3 staples

staples

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:50 PM

Stick it out for another 2 - 3 weeks. Anytime there's change in neurotransmitters there's a reaction to most people, whether it's positive or negative. After your body adjusts to the supplement it will start giving off positive effects. It's just like taking SSRI medications, they're 5htp based too.

#4 resinoptes

resinoptes

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • LocationOakland

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:05 AM

Although 5 htp might not be too good for you physically, cos it converts to serotonin peripherally. Which may be bad for your heart in the long run

#5 PlayCrackTheSky

PlayCrackTheSky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:35 AM

many people have got your reaction to 5htp and ssri's to DP/DR in general anything that raises seritonin is not good for DP/DR contrary to what some "experts" might want you to believe. Please review my tread titaled determined to find that magic pill and you'll see more disscussion about this. As for the best thing to combat depression or those intrusive thoughts from DP I would highly suggest inositol.

inositol will help with depression? Does it rise serotonin? If so, wont it have the same affect as the 5htp, because the 5htp also raises serotonin? I use to work out every day and would endorphins releases then and didn't feel like this,even with the dp so whats the difference now?

#6 PlayCrackTheSky

PlayCrackTheSky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:37 AM

Stick it out for another 2 - 3 weeks. Anytime there's change in neurotransmitters there's a reaction to most people, whether it's positive or negative. After your body adjusts to the supplement it will start giving off positive effects. It's just like taking SSRI medications, they're 5htp based too.

If this stuff does cause worse DP, i want to stop it ASAP, so the DP doesn't get any worse for a longer period of time. So it's kind of a catch 22.

#7 Visual

Visual

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Site Contributor
  • 1,623 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

If this stuff does cause worse DP, i want to stop it ASAP, so the DP doesn't get any worse for a longer period of time. So it's kind of a catch 22.

Have you tried any other medications?

#8 PlayCrackTheSky

PlayCrackTheSky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

Have you tried any other medications?

well i was taking this stuff called deprex which actually has 5htp in it, with other stuff and I was fine on that, which is strange, no? I stopped taking it because it was pricey. But I started taking it again today. Along with some Dmae, fish oil, magnesium/zinc and Phosphatidylserine and a b complex.. And stopped taking the 5htp. So we will see. It makes me sick seeing all of the different vitamins that I have and it's super pricey for a gal like me.

#9 Visual

Visual

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Site Contributor
  • 1,623 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

well i was taking this stuff called deprex which actually has 5htp in it, with other stuff and I was fine on that, which is strange, no? I stopped taking it because it was pricey. But I started taking it again today. Along with some Dmae, fish oil, magnesium/zinc and Phosphatidylserine and a b complex.. And stopped taking the 5htp. So we will see. It makes me sick seeing all of the different vitamins that I have and it's super pricey for a gal like me.

Yea, it is frustrating how pricey supplements are. And then see people get sick on cheap ones – unfortunately just as with food, the junk doesn’t help.

Goggled deprex and it has all sorts of stuff that affects the brain: lithium, GABA, L-theonine, etc. I was surprised to see Ignatia Amara which is great for calming the brain (epilepsy) but is banned by the FDA because it contains strychnine (and that is the part that works). It is probably good in low doses but still a surprise.

I’m one of those non-serotonin persons but know that some people like it. So you haven’t actually tried prescription mediations. Have your doctors suggested anything?

#10 scienceguy

scienceguy

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

inositol will help with depression? Does it rise serotonin? If so, wont it have the same affect as the 5htp, because the 5htp also raises serotonin? I use to work out every day and would endorphins releases then and didn't feel like this,even with the dp so whats the difference now?

Inositol is believed to work by making seritonin more efficent at certain receptor sites. these are more likly the sites that are good for regulating OCD and depression and it leaves the bad seriton sites alone. you see anytime when you take something that raises seritonin universaly accross the whole spectrum of receptors it gives you alot of bad effects along with the good. just think of inositol as being more specificaly targeted at your problem.
inositol may also convert in small quantities to inositol triphosphate which helps in nerve signal tranduction which may also lead to a decrease in depression and possibly even DP this is something I'm exploring further in my own trials.

If you do try inositol just remember the dose for depression is kind of high about 6 to 10 grams, but it's very safe and vertialy side effect free you just have to take alot for the effect.

Best of luck and if you would like to partipate in a more specific inositol trial for DP let me know.

#11 PlayCrackTheSky

PlayCrackTheSky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

Inositol is believed to work by making seritonin more efficent at certain receptor sites. these are more likly the sites that are good for regulating OCD and depression and it leaves the bad seriton sites alone. you see anytime when you take something that raises seritonin universaly accross the whole spectrum of receptors it gives you alot of bad effects along with the good. just think of inositol as being more specificaly targeted at your problem.
inositol may also convert in small quantities to inositol triphosphate which helps in nerve signal tranduction which may also lead to a decrease in depression and possibly even DP this is something I'm exploring further in my own trials.

If you do try inositol just remember the dose for depression is kind of high about 6 to 10 grams, but it's very safe and vertialy side effect free you just have to take alot for the effect.

Best of luck and if you would like to partipate in a more specific inositol trial for DP let me know.

Thanks, Ill look into buying some, so unlike the 5htp, there aren't side effects and it wont make me feel out of it? This is a good thing haha, I wonder how long it would take to actually help with the depression

#12 PlayCrackTheSky

PlayCrackTheSky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

Yea, it is frustrating how pricey supplements are. And then see people get sick on cheap ones – unfortunately just as with food, the junk doesn’t help.

Goggled deprex and it has all sorts of stuff that affects the brain: lithium, GABA, L-theonine, etc. I was surprised to see Ignatia Amara which is great for calming the brain (epilepsy) but is banned by the FDA because it contains strychnine (and that is the part that works). It is probably good in low doses but still a surprise.

I’m one of those non-serotonin persons but know that some people like it. So you haven’t actually tried prescription mediations. Have your doctors suggested anything?

I actually don't have a doctor right now, I don't have insurance and can't really afford to go see anyone right now. The only thing that I've tried a couple of times is the lowest amount of xanax, but it just made me fall asleep. It did calm me down, but I don't think it made the DP or depression any less worse. I'm really not sure, because it knocked me out even on a tiny tiny dose. I'm totally afraid to take scrips. I don't even drink or smoke because I'm afraid of how doing those things will make me feel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users