Please consider purchasing a copy of Jeffrey Abugel's book Stranger to Myself to help fund future endeavours Click here to purchase.

Photo

Hissing sound

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hoot

hoot

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationFunland

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:04 AM

I've been having this persistant hissing/ringing sound in my head for the past week or so. It's a bit like letting air out of a tire. Last night it really fucked up my sleep because it was somewhat loud. I think it's called tinnitus, but it has nothing to do with my ears, I can hear fine but the sound is coming from my head. I think this was brought on, at least partly, by me using induction cookers. When I turn them on, they create a similar sound in my head, could be because I'm electromagnetically sensitive. I switched to a propane cooker today though, to see if it gets better.

Have any of you had this? I hear it's sometimes linked to anxiety and depression.

#2 Don Steffa

Don Steffa

Great Contributor

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

I've been having this persistant hissing/ringing sound in my head for the past week or so. It's a bit like letting air out of a tire. Last night it really fucked up my sleep because it was somewhat loud. I think it's called tinnitus, but it has nothing to do with my ears, I can hear fine but the sound is coming from my head. I think this was brought on, at least partly, by me using induction cookers. When I turn them on, they create a similar sound in my head, could be because I'm electromagnetically sensitive. I switched to a propane cooker today though, to see if it gets better.

Have any of you had this? I hear it's sometimes linked to anxiety and depression.

Benzodiazepine's, SSRI's (anti depressants), and several Anti-Psychotia's can cause temporary 'Tinnitus'.
But if you think its in your head (imaginary) it could be some state of hallucination, i experience this a few times a week due to my hypnagogia.

I hope i made you a bit wiser :)

#3 hoot

hoot

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationFunland

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:30 AM

Benzodiazepine's, SSRI's (anti depressants), and several Anti-Psychotia's can cause temporary 'Tinnitus'.
But if you think its in your head (imaginary) it could be some state of hallucination, i experience this a few times a week due to my hypnagogia.

I hope i made you a bit wiser :)

Thanks for your reply. I don't use any meds. I don't think I've ever had a hallucination, although there sure is a first time for everything, and tinnitus can originate from the head instead of the ears, but it's most common in the ears. However when I turned on an induction cooker I got the same noise in my head, or something very similar. It's unlikely that this was a hallucination or some sort of placebo effect because I was very excited to use an induction cooker and my attitude towards them was positive. Also, the effect was worse if there was say a smaller amount of water in the boiler or smaller amounts of food on the frying pan.

My computer, fridge, AC, fan, running water fosset etc. mask the sound though.

#4 sunyata samsara

sunyata samsara

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

You're hearing your nervous system. When i first started hearing it i remember thinking its quieter than silence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users