Depersonalization Disorder Symptom Domains:
- Alienation from surroundings (Derealization)
- e.g. like looking through a camera, veil, things appear unreal
- Lack of ownership feelings
i.e. body/body parts feel alien / like they don't belong to you
- Feelings of automation/lack of agency/ not feeling in charge
- Disembodiment feeling
ranges from feeling like you're not really there to out of body experiences
- Perceptual distortions of the body
e.g. body parts appear a different size,
as if wrapped in cotton wool
- Heightened self observation
- Emotional numbing
- Anomalies in subjective recall
e.g. memories lack emotion,
seem like a dream,
3rd person viewpoint like watching a film
- Visual distortions
- Mind emptiness/no thoughts/thousand mile stare
- Changes in experience of time
e.g. recent events feel like the distant past
inability to experience time/feel as if outside of time
- Changes in sense of duration
internal body clock is out of tune with geophysical time - things appear in slow motion or sped up
- Changes to perspective of time/temporal disintegration
past present and future - what order do those go in again?
e.g. wondering whether it is really next week
lack of understanding/feeling of time
- Impaired Spatial-Temporal Reasoning
Spatial-temporal reasoning is the ability to visualise something in space that unfolds over time.
e.g. estimating how a piece of paper will look unfolded. You're holding that map upside down by the way..
Bastardized from the literature.
Give me a shout if you require sources.