• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 S O L A R I S

S O L A R I S

Great Contributor

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

This is one of the best accounts of someone overcoming dissociation. For some reason it holds SO much truth in what is being said

http://ritualabuse.u...f-dissociation/

#2 Sarasi3

Sarasi3

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:55 AM

This is one of the best accounts of someone overcoming dissociation. For some reason it holds SO much truth in what is being said

http://ritualabuse.u...f-dissociation/

WOW. Thank you. This has given me a new way of looking at the way I live my life. It is the cold hard truth, and admits that recovery is not easy and may take time and effort. I love that she talks about "being ok with your emotions". I think we all need to feel safe with our emotions in order to stop dissociating from them.

Great post, everyone should read this.

#3 S O L A R I S

S O L A R I S

Great Contributor

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:51 PM

I love the article as well. I can identify to it truly. I also think that it discussed the issue very insightfully and Aknowledges dissociation as what it really is. It's not as easy as "not thinking about it" that everyone here in the forum is parading. Defense mechanism, disorder, disease,anxiety, self hatred...I don't care what you call it, that's just semantics. It is a dissociative phenoma and you need not be in denial of.

#4 Sarasi3

Sarasi3

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

I love the article as well. I can identify to it truly. I also think that it discussed the issue very insightfully and Aknowledges dissociation as what it really is. It's not as easy as "not thinking about it" that everyone here in the forum is parading. Defense mechanism, disorder, disease,anxiety, self hatred...I don't care what you call it, that's just semantics. It is a dissociative phenoma and you need not be in denial of.

Couldn't have said it better myself :D Agree 100%

#5 septimus

septimus

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

Dissociation is a defense mechanism. Though I wouldn't call it a disorder. A different disorder, probably an anxiety disorder, is what keeps it going. It's all related. Simply "not thinking about it" isn't going to cure most anyone, this is true. But we need to understand that there is a cause to this, and to resolve that cause.

Good article, hard to read though.

#6 ZachT

ZachT

DP Approved

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:47 PM

Dissociation is a defense mechanism. Though I wouldn't call it a disorder. A different disorder, probably an anxiety disorder, is what keeps it going. It's all related. Simply "not thinking about it" isn't going to cure most anyone, this is true. But we need to understand that there is a cause to this, and to resolve that cause.

Good article, hard to read though.

Good point. i like what you said.

#7 nic.m

nic.m

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:01 AM

Has anyone else tried to write down a wishlist of core desires like she suggests? I'm writing one now, and the emotional response I'm feeling is quite strong. It's lovely to feel real joy and excitement again, even if it's only fleeting!

#8 match_stick_1

match_stick_1

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:23 AM

That was such an amazing read, there was just so much that clicked and made sense for me, i know that as a response to many abuses in my past i have learned to dissosciate, espescially as she said when things get at all hard. I went from dissosciating because i needed to very often, to doing it constantly because it was easier. I definately admit that i'm am addicted to dissosciating, because the whole time i feel that way now. Maybe i just got to the point where i found that living in general was too hard and decided without realising it to leave myself. Maybe by recognising this and using some if the techniques she mentioned i will be able to come back to myself and really feel like im living life.
Thankyou so much for posting that.

#9 nic.m

nic.m

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:30 AM

That was such an amazing read, there was just so much that clicked and made sense for me, i know that as a response to many abuses in my past i have learned to dissosciate, espescially as she said when things get at all hard. I went from dissosciating because i needed to very often, to doing it constantly because it was easier. I definately admit that i'm am addicted to dissosciating, because the whole time i feel that way now. Maybe i just got to the point where i found that living in general was too hard and decided without realising it to leave myself. Maybe by recognising this and using some if the techniques she mentioned i will be able to come back to myself and really feel like im living life.
Thankyou so much for posting that.

The cool thing about this perspective is that it puts the power back in your hands - DP is something you use as a defense mechanism, therefore if you can sort your head out, you can stop using it and it will go away. Okay, easier said than done. But isn't it empowering to think that we can control it if we get ourselves in the right mindset, rather than it being something that can only be treated with medication?

#10 match_stick_1

match_stick_1

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:48 PM

The cool thing about this perspective is that it puts the power back in your hands - DP is something you use as a defense mechanism, therefore if you can sort your head out, you can stop using it and it will go away. Okay, easier said than done. But isn't it empowering to think that we can control it if we get ourselves in the right mindset, rather than it being something that can only be treated with medication?

Definately.

#11 Guest_Bryant02_*

Guest_Bryant02_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:38 AM

Introductions of Golf Shot

Talk to your playing partners, look at the birds, sing a tune in your head, tell a joke to a friend, or anything to have fun and relax before you get to your next shot with your callaway x-20 irons. Once you get up to your ball, it’s important to dial in your focus and let go of what you were thinking about between shots. ishiner

#12 littlehannahx

littlehannahx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

A good article and intresting replies - i have ~DID~ Dissocitive identity disorder along with my dp which even i find it confussing to understand yet weather dissociation is a disorder or not (aboce comment?) i'm still trying to work it out maybe it is just about anxiety that brings it all together :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users