Please consider purchasing a copy of Jeffrey Abugel's book Stranger to Myself to help fund future endeavours Click here to purchase.

Photo

The Holy Grail of Curing DP/DR

117 replies to this topic

#37 Cacophony_of_whispers

Cacophony_of_whispers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

a commendable post. It is good to know that there is someone out there who has the time and inclination to go to the trouble of typing out such an exhaustive list of tips.

Thanks.

#38 Tanyawa

Tanyawa

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

I won't lie, this is a repost of something "Copeful" posted way back in 2007. However I found the information inside completely invaluable and think it should be posted and/or maybe pinned so that people can find the information with ease. Here's hoping it helps many people :] Thank you Copeful.

The Holy Grail of Curing DP/DR:

I've analyzed and experienced this fucking life consuming blackhole disorder for a longtime since I got it and have found the 10 most important steps in recovery:

1) Acceptance
2) Letting go
3) Distraction
4) Tuning focus back on external world(reality) and interact with it
5) Socializing
6) Facing your fears&burried surrows
7) Eating right
8) Sleeping/Exercising
9) Changing your thinking pattern
10) Re-enter reality & Never looking back

Seems so easy and simple, in a sense it is and on the other hand it's not, it's hard work.
However it IS infact THE only cure that ANYONE with DPDR has used to recover. there will never be a magic pill, so take my word for it and cure yourself by the end of this year and live life happily ever after in REALITY.

I totally agree with your list and it IS easier said than done, however, once you get started doing them it gets alot easier..............Thank You for this post

#39 Z-Ron

Z-Ron

Contributor

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

Very good advice for the most part. A lot of these suggestions will help and I can confirm that.

However, I think rather than fearing existential thoughts you should accept that they are there. Accept that they are part of being a human being.

Personally, when I first started thinking existentially about life & existence (15 years old at the time), it scared the hell out of me. I think it will do that to everyone at first. However, as time goes on, you start to not fear it. You maybe even start to embrace it.

My 3 year long bout with DR/DP is what made me start to question things, now I am DR/DP free and happier than ever. I still question things, but I question them without getting derealized or panicky.

I'll be going to college for astronomy soon, and in a way, I have to thank my experience with DR/DP for that. It made me think deeper, it beat me down. Tough love, because in the end, it made me a better person.

You say to face your fears, but you contradict yourself when you tell people to avoid deep thoughts. Deep thoughts are a fear for many people, and they are a fear that should be confronted & conquered.

Thank you for sharing your advice, hope you didn't mind me giving my two cents.

#40 Sleepwalker

Sleepwalker

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCaribbean

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:37 AM

I assure you we're around! I'm here checking the forums daily:) If you have specific requests, feel free to send me a pm.

While on the topic of Pinning; what about having one place to go to where we could get all the pinned (for a starter) topics? Posted Image wouldn't be a forum, of course...just an idea.

#41 stefisings

stefisings

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

You got it...please everyone suffering read "hope and help for your nerves" by Dr. Claire Weekes...its such an easy non stressful read. You will probably read the whole thing in a night.
The answers to all of this is within this book. I've traveled the planet with my copy for 20 plus years.lt is yellow and falling apart. It is almost
exactly like what you have written here. This is norhing less than lifesaving info. Just check it OUT!

#42 BrianK

BrianK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:18 PM

This is easily the best guide to recovery ever made. Thank you.

#43 marion

marion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:31 AM

Great thread!

I totally agree about the vitamins and eating right.

My daughter has DR and I'm trying to help her with it (along with her therapist).

I have suffered from mild depression on and off for years and been on and off various SSRIs. Recently, having gotten off Zoloft (which was making me fat), I did research on more natural anti-depressants and found that high EPA fish oil is helping me immensely. I take about 3 g of high EPA fish oil daily; 1 g with every meal. I also take a good multi, a really good B-complex, vitamin D, vitamin C, and calcium.

It was amazing to me how dramatically my depression improved from the fish oil. I also follow the method from the book Potatoes Not Prozac and eat a high carb snack 3 hours after dinner. That helps the body release seratonin, apparently. The trick is to only have a whole grain or whole carb, such as a few whole grain crackers or a small baked potato with skin. No protein whatsoever, just carb. Between that and the fish oil I'm feeling so much better, it's unbelievable.

My endocrinologist told me about the fish oil. Psychiatrist colleagues of hers told her about it. The high EPA is the important thing. I take a combination of two brands: Omega Brite and Nature Made Super Strength EPA, but there are other brands. I found one in a health food store from Norwegian Gold that looks pretty good. The only downside is that really good molecularly distilled fish oil can be rather expensive.

My daughter, who has DR, only takes a multi vitamin. But I plan to have her vitamin levels checked and wonder if maybe she should be taking a supplemental B-complex or even some specific amino acids. She has some food allergies so I'm hesitant to just "give" her stuff without researching it carefully first. There is often soy in fish oil capsules, and she's allergic to soy. I haven't found a fish oil yet that doesn't have soy in it.

Anyway, good luck to everyone here and thanks for the good thread.

#44 ProphetEdison

ProphetEdison

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

This have helped me alot, thank you

#45 tmmontgomery

tmmontgomery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL USA

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:03 PM

To people who wear contacts or glasses.

Another thing that may seem trivial but can help: wearing your glasses or contacts all the time.

Because things seem "foggy" already, I have noticed that having blurred vision can further increase this effect and can in turn increase your anxiety. So no matter if you're far or near sighted, wear your glasses and it might help you!

Seems weird but try it and you'll see what I mean!

#46 humanfemale

humanfemale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:07 AM

First we watch this movie(ya'll spiritualist will love this one, but for atheists fuck the "God" part and just watch the relaxing and beautiful nature and the encouraging messages)
:

Which movie is that?

#47 Ashleyliza

Ashleyliza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

I know this thread is pretty old, but it's pretty awesome. It gives people hope and a reason to try. Just reading it made me look outside and see the sun shining :)

#48 miguelmalato

miguelmalato

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationCoimbra, Portugal

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

This video CURED my depersonalizaed

I still don't know how the fuck this happened or why, all I know is that I never felt so in control of myself

Reply to this topic

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users