#1 sneaker

sneaker

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationWorcestershire, UK

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

Hi,

not sure of there is already a thread on this subject (I did do a quick search). I just wondered if anyone knew of any famous people/celebrities who suffer from DP/DR?

The only ones I know of are Harris Goldberg (director of 'Numb'), Jonathan Caouette (director of 'Tarnation') and Adam Duritz (singer from band Counting Crows). I know they have had it in the past, not sure if they have recovered or not.

Just something I was curious about :)

There is an interesting article/interview about Adam Duritz and his DP (although I don't think it actually mentions the word depersonalization in it) in case anyone wanted to read it:

http://www.menshealt... ... 281eac____

#2 Dreamland

Dreamland

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • LocationGuadalcanal

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:15 PM

I think that he's more depressed with dissociative symptoms as opposed to suffering from DPD. The fact that he connects, or connected, with the audience when he was performing and felt this sense of elation and joy doesn't sound like DP because you can't turn DP on and off. He isolated himself from his loved ones and friends but I think that it's the result of depression. He also lives in a world of denial and he has, or had, terrible coping skills.

#3 DigestedRainbow

DigestedRainbow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:29 PM

Chester Bennington from the band linkin Park. He sufferd from Dp, dont know if he's recoverd or not. But the band have a few old songs about dp like 'Crawling' and 'Numb'.

#4 peachy

peachy

• Members
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:08 PM

i think the guy from counting crows has been in and out of remission. i've read something he wrote about it once and it sounded like legit dp who knows. also, if you listen to some of his lyrics, you can hear it. listen to the song "colorblind" by the counting crows. beautiful song.

#5 Matt210

Matt210

• Members
  • 1,134 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

I think that he's more depressed with dissociative symptoms as opposed to suffering from DPD. The fact that he connects, or connected, with the audience when he was performing and felt this sense of elation and joy doesn't sound like DP because you can't turn DP on and off. He isolated himself from his loved ones and friends but I think that it's the result of depression. He also lives in a world of denial and he has, or had, terrible coping skills.

I have heard him say he was diagnosed with DP before. Think it is definitely DP.

You guys named the select few I knew, i'm sure there are more. There are plenty of musicians that I always wonder if they had it based on some of their lyrics that describe DP really well but have never investigated it.

Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel is one who I think suffers DP symptoms based on some interviews of his i've read and a great deal of his lyrics. Perhaps a reason I feel so close to his music.

#6 Dreamland

Dreamland

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • LocationGuadalcanal

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

I heard that Andy Partridge from XTC suffers from debilitating anxiety attacks, and it got so bad that the group had to stop performing live. XTC's music and lyrics always connected with me for some reason and I'm positive that their song Chalkhills and Children is inspired by a DP or a dissociative experience.

*****Andy getting a panic attack onstage in 1982 and walking off the stage***

... re=related

I'm floating over strange land,
It's a soulless, sequined, showbiz moon.
I'm floating over strange land,
And then stranger still, there's no balloon.
But I'm getting higher,
Wafted up by fame's fickle fire 'til the...

Chalkhills and children,
Anchor my feet.
Chalkhills and children,
Bringing me back to earth,
Eternally and ever Ermine Street.
(Even I never know where I go when my eyes are closed.)

I'm skating over thin ice,
Upon blunted blades of metal soft.
I'm skating over thin ice,
While some nonesuch net holds me aloft.
But I'm getting higher,
Lifted up on lucks' circus wire 'til the...

Chalkhills and children,
Anchor my feet.
Chalkhills and children,

Even I never know where I go when my eyes are closed.
Even I never spied that the scenes were posed.
Even I never knew this is what I'd be.
Even eyes never mean that you're sure to see.

Still I'm getting higher,
Rolling up on three empty tyres, 'til the...

Chalkhills and children,
Anchor my feet.
Chalkhills and children,

I'm soaring over hushed crowds,
The reluctant cannonball it seems.
I'm soaring over hushed crowds,
I'm propelled up here by long dead dreams.

Still I'm getting higher,
Icarus regrets and retires puzzled.

Chalkhills and children,
Anchor my feet.
Chalkhills and children,
Oddly complete.
(Even I never know where I go when my eyes are all closed.)

Here I go again.

#7 Matt210

Matt210

• Members
  • 1,134 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

I know that Andy Partridge from XTC suffers from debilitating anxiety attacks, and it got so bad that the group had to stop performing live. XTC's music and lyrics always connected with me for some reason and I'm positive that their song Chalkhills and Children is inspired by a DP or a dissociative experience.

... re=related

I could see that. I haven't heard that song - but I have heard Skylarking and Black Sea and several songs on there suggest he's a guy whos been through his share of issues.

#8 dreamingoflife

dreamingoflife

Great Contributor

• Members
  • 450 posts
  • Locationus

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

I read somewhere once that Billie joe the led singer of Green Day has it or maybe just anxiety issues but one of their songs "basket case" seems to fit dp a great deal so not 100% but I think I read that once.

#9 Dreamland

Dreamland

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • LocationGuadalcanal

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:41 PM

I know that Andy Partridge from XTC suffers from debilitating anxiety attacks, and it got so bad that the group had to stop performing live. XTC's music and lyrics always connected with me for some reason and I'm positive that their song Chalkhills and Children is inspired by a DP or a dissociative experience.

... re=related

I could see that. I haven't heard that song - but I have heard Skylarking and Black Sea and several songs on there suggest he's a guy whos been through his share of issues.

I agree. This song is from Skylarking, and who in their right mind would feel compelled to write this song:

#10 quarantined

quarantined

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:37 PM

Chester Bennington from the band linkin Park. He sufferd from Dp, dont know if he's recoverd or not. But the band have a few old songs about dp like 'Crawling' and 'Numb'.

oh wow, that's cool,
I didn't know that :o

#11 Conjurus

Conjurus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

I thought I noticed that about their songs. They seemed to fit how I felt too well- like the song Somewhere I belong.

#12 Guest_Le Chat_*

Guest_Le Chat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

I'd say it is safe to assume that many celebrities may have suffered DP/DR at SOME time or have it now. Revealing a mental illness if one is an actor or well known singer with many demands on him/her can be refused work (this is unjustified) as they cannot be insured for work on long-term projects, tours, films, etc. Joey Pantoliano experienced this when he "came out of the closet" a few years ago with clinical depression.

“Depersonalization is a dissociative disorder, causing alteration in the perception or experience of the self and a detachment from reality. This is a fascinating and clinically relevant phenomenon neglected within psychiatry. Far from being a rare condition, it can be as prevalent as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder and frequently occurs in association with other neuropsychiatric conditions." per Mauricio Sierra in his new medical text coming out in September of this year.

Depersonalization: A New Look at a Neglected Syndrome
There are many famous people who have suffered from various mental illnesses:

Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill, Buzz Aldrin, Virginia Woolf, Kurt Cobain, Charles Dickens, Sylvia Plath, Carrie Fisher, Lionel Aldridge, Leo Tolstoy, Ernest Hemmingway, Michelangelo, Maurice Bernard, Brian Wilson, Jimmy Piersall, John Keats, Vincent Van Gogh, Jane Pauley, Patty Duke, Beethoven, Issac Newton, Tennessee Williams, Mike Wallace, Terry Bradshaw, Tipper Gore, Judy Garland, Wiliam Styron, Richard Rhodes, Joey Pantoliano, Kay Redfield Jamison, John Nash, ...

Also Post Partum Depression: Marie Osmond who described severe DP and OBE experiences -- I heard her describe this in a TV interview but can't find it in her book though I really skimmed the thing, Britney Spears (bipolar). Carly Simon has panic attacks performing live and tends to record more than perform, Bob Dylan has anxiety issues.

Members of "No Kidding Me Too," entertainment industry folk working to eliminate mental health stigma. Not all have mental illness, but have friends/family with it:
Ed Begley, Jr.
Jeff Bridges
Delta Burke
James Cameron
Christy Cashman
Rachel Leigh Cook
Vincent Curatola
Andy & Adrianne Davis
John Paul DeJoria
Dana Delany
Matt Dillon
Robert Downey, Jr.
Charles Dutton
Edie Falco
Laurence Fishburne
Bill Fichtner
Patrick Flueger
Tom Fontana
Lisa & Gary Foster
Jamie Foxx
Dennis & Joanie Franz
John Gaeta
Devon Gearhart
Jason Gedrick
Tony Goldwyn
Joe Greco
Charles Grodin
Marcia Gay Harden
Hill Harper
Michael Imperioli
Al Joyner
Christine Lahti
Sarah Lancaster
Ang Lee
Joe Mantegna
Chris & Sherman Meloni
Matthew Modine
Bobby & Barbara Moresco
Pat O'Brien
Joe Pantoliano
Ron Perlman
Gloria Reuben
Fisher Stevens
Larenz Tate
Tim Van Patten
Wachowski Family
Sam Weisman
Montel Williams
Robin Williams
Terence Winter
Daphne Zuniga

Whoever wrote the song "Comfortably Numb" from Pink Floyd (favorite song of mine) -- sounds like DP to me?

The thing is, I KNOW DP is very common, either in an episodic form or chronic form and it comes with so many psychiatric illnesses and neurological illnesses it's ridiculous. There have been people on this board who are also performers who have DP/DR and I have received emails from my website from some professional musicians who have this (members of orchestras, etc.) Someone who used to post here is a professional musician and a music teacher.

I used to sing and act. I was so freakin' DP/DR all the time doing it. I was good. I was recognized for my talent, but I couldn't keep it up. It made performance impossible. I haven't touched my piano in 15 years. I want to try again. Or sing. My arms always feel "not mine" and my voice feels "not mine."

Bottom line is we are far from alone. Depending on an individual celebrity then can or cannot perform in this state. I know Harris Goldberg still has chronic DP. (I know two friends of his but don't know him personally).

Some people have these symptoms on and off, or they are less severe than others. Some have overcome them. These illnesses have destroyed careers as well.

I hate this with all my being. But we are NOT alone. And many accomplish a lot in spite of this.

Many in MANY jobs do not reveal their illnesses and many cannot work because of them.
D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users