• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 jeremy

jeremy

Great Contributor

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

Has anyone on here had any experience with NSA? (That is Network Spinal Analysis, not No Strings Attached). Its energy work, based on the spinal cord . I have read some opinions by certain scientists to say that the subconscious mind is based in the spinal cord. Just wondering what others think about this concept also?

#2 Pablo

Pablo

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Members
  • 1,654 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:45 AM

I used to travel to London every week for about six months to get it, it is one of the best alternative therapies I have tried. I thought it was abit of a rip off when I first tried it because all you do is lie down on a massage table and the guy literally taps areas on your neck and base of spine with his fingers, but the smallest of taps can make quite a big difference to your body and make it completely relax because they have found areas called "spinal gateways" which when tapped bring your body out of defensive posture and free up your breathing. After a few weeks you start to get a wave of breath which starts at the base of your spine and works its way up to your neck breaking down any stress patterns in your body which can affect your mental and physical health.

I im not so sure about the claim that the subconscious is in the spinal cord though, what I think is happening is that if you want to repress and control emotions you contract your body and you develop stress patterns and emotional patterns which get stuck in your body stresses and tensions. So freeing up the body is one route into helping mental health, but the reason I stopped doing it is because everytime my breath went into my neck I couldnt break up the stress there because I didnt feel safe enough to deal with the emotions stuck there.

Some people can get it for free from insurance so I would try it if you can.

#3 PPPP

PPPP

• Members
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

Has anyone on here had any experience with NSA?

:shock: shhhhhh! if you speak of the No Such Agency they'll come for you!

#4 [rula]

[rula]

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:49 PM

yea, and I want my money back! :evil:

I think the whole thing is a total rip off. The room first of all was always full of at least 8 different people at a time, and not a single person ever had the type of spontaneous kundalini-type awakening, uncontrollable need to cry or laugh, or anything other than just feeling extremely lightheaded after the session due the extreme deep breathing for a half hour (which they cleverly referred to as the new "transformed" energy in you...good one! LOL) Even my friend who originally recommended it to me and stuck with it much longer than I did eventually wanted more than just a tap on her back for all her money and went back to her regular chiro. but hey, it's possible, I suppose, that our chiropractor just sucked at it.

#5 jeremy

jeremy

Great Contributor

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:14 PM

:shock: shhhhhh! if you speak of the No Such Agency they'll come for you!

haha

Interesting comments. I think your very right Rula in perhaps that your chiropractor sucked at it. there are some health practitioners that are good at what they do and some that dont have a clue!! Im interested in this as the chiropractor I work with is studying this at the mo and is in Italy this weekend on a course and said she would need someone to practice on when she came back so I offered myself as a guinea pig. Will be very interesting to see what happens.

Your comments Pablo about stress and emotional patterns becoming stuck in your body I can relate to. I think the opinion about the subconscious is separate and distinct from NSA, I am just interested in different theories. I think the lady who coined up that idea was Candace Pert from What the Bleep. I read on her biog that she is researching about creating non-toxic pharmaceuticals which I found extremely interesting. There are a lot of opinions and theories around I notice, but I feel things are going in the right direction in terms of health which can only be exciting!

Thanks for your comments.

#6 Dreamer

Dreamer

• Guests
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:42 PM

Edit: See below. My mind is GONE.

#7 [rula]

[rula]

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:34 AM

I think your very right Rula in perhaps that your chiropractor sucked at it. there are some health practitioners that are good at what they do and some that dont have a clue!!

Yes, but I'm also pretty sure that NSA earned its entry on Quack Watch without my help.

The idea that energy or "consciousness" can travel up the spine and release blockage through concentration and breathing is borrowed from Hinduism and can be achieved for FREE. So why I ask you, Jeremy, should we now pay a chiropractor to simply tap the backs of a room full of 8-16 patients (or however many chairs he can fit in his office) for min $50 dollars/half hour each? yes, I'm sure all Chiros would attest to the great efficacy of this method, for obvious reasons :lol: but do let us know what you think of it!

-rula

#8 Pablo

Pablo

• Members
  • 1,654 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:16 PM

To be fair I wouldnt base what works and what is good on the Quackwatch website, there are all sorts of things which quackwatch says is bad like acupuncture and nearly all the Chinese health practices like qigong, which I know can help many problems and diseases. Just because they talk about energy which scientists cant measure it doesnt mean that it isnt useful and cant help people.

NSA is very expensive and they do seem to squeeze as many people in as possible but that doesnt mean that the technique doesnt work. It is basicaly a body/breath technique like you say similar to Hindu yoga techniques but it is different, those areas which they touch really do take your body out of "defence posture" so it is a far gentler and easier way of getting tension out of your body and far less risky and more natural than regular chiropractors. If there was a practitioner near where i live I would probably go back just for the stress relief if not any anything else.

#9 Dreamer

Dreamer

• Guests
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:17 PM

EDIT: I screwed up a lot of sentences here:

Jeremy,
You know my stance on this, but as someone said above I firmly believe the benefits of this are the equivalent of what I'm doing now -- physical therapy on my back. And chiropractic and this NSA does NOT treat mental illness.

Firstly, I have always been anxious, and even as a kid had sore muscles from tension. Anxiety/stress leads to tension.

So, while at the physical therapist, which is extremely professional, MedSport at U.ofM., 2 hours of work w/trained physical therapists, I am getting a full understanding of what's wrong with my spine, which isn't in the best shape. Most concern to me is less the pain than numbness and tingling in my RIGHT leg all the way down to my foot. If it goes all the way down to your foot, that's worse, sigh, than say if it went to your knee.

Also, my sitting here at the mo is stupid, but I've been good all day, but I have an ice pack on, and can't sit upright; much anymore right, LOL. One has to SIT at some points during the day. I'm supposed to write on my stomach/read, etc. with ice on my back.

At any rate, the PT can feel tension in my entire back. Some completely unrelated to the spine problem. ROCK SOLID muscles. When he did some minor massage, I felt it difficult to relax. I've always been this way.

He thought I should try to get a regular massage and do MORE relaxation exercises as I'm so tense.

I admit that after a session, which includes, ultrasound/ice/heat, exercise, stretches, all sorts of stuff, I feel less stressed out. I have also had a few Korean? back rubs in the mall -- you sit in a chair -- professional Asian something. AMAZING, you want to rip your clothes off and stay there all day.

At any rate, I feel more relaxed afterwards.

But, DP/DR wise, I can't believe it's going to do anything and I don't expect it to; I don't believe memories or such are "trapped in your spine". You know my POV. It simply doesn't make sense. But tension is the result of anxiety, which I'm sure in many cases here is causing DP/DR. It is one clearly noted symptom of a panic attack.

Right at this moment, I have to consciuosly relax my shoulders. I have to think this way all the time. As I have to constantly push negative thoughts out of my mind. The more I do this, the better I am at controlling these things, but there is no relief of my DP/DR -- it isn't as bad as in the past, but I work at distraction 24/7.

Odd thing too, I have had serious anxiety a few times -- last year a BAD time for about 48 hours, and the DP/DR did NOT increase. I was shaking with anxiety but the DP did not increase. Crying, headache. If someone had given me a massage it would have done nothing. Zero, zip, zilch.

So sick of this. But I'm getting top of the line physical therapy prescribed by a Spine Doctor, M.D., had the MRI/X-rays, yada. If my DP is going to be helped by anything, it would be this. I have several more months of this. I'll report in. But I would be you 1 million dollars I don't have, this makes no difference on my mental health, save helping me relax more, which IS valuable, but you can't do this your whole life. I can apply the techniques, instructions on my own.

My only thought on this is, if it were that effective, all the people in that huge center getting physical therapy -- well someone would report to their doctor (there must be DPd people there I don't know about of any age), someone would take note of it.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV 8)
Meantime PT isn't all joy, it hurts like freakin' Hell sometimes, in which case it feels like someone is casting out the Devil. But that isn't "pushing some sort of repressed memory out of the body" I also don't believe in repressed memories. Sigh.

#10 [rula]

[rula]

Regular Contributor

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:44 PM

To be fair I wouldnt base what works and what is good on the Quackwatch website, there are all sorts of things which quackwatch says is bad like acupuncture and nearly all the Chinese health practices

true. and I don't consult quackwatch in everything I do. but, if you do checkout NSA's site under "what is NSA", it reads like a silly infomercial not a remotely pseudo-scientific explanation worth shelling out real money for, hence deserving induction in QuackWatch.

NSA is very expensive and they do seem to squeeze as many people in as possible but that doesnt mean that the technique doesnt work.

certainly not, but such a miraculous technique that works would probably be much more wide spread by now wouldn't it? It didn't work for me, for my friend or for you (although you seem to blame yourself) or for any of the people in the room with me during any of the sessions I attended (as non of them ever exploded in spontaneous emotional expression of any kind, as the founder of NSA boldly claims is common)

Witch Doctors used to cure people of all kinds of illnesses; in the 21st century we now know the real healer was the patient's own brain, his/her own powerful belief in the ritual triggered chemicals that cured the illness. and we still see witch doctors! Defense posture, developed over YEARS of trauma, apparently being released by 4-5 simple taps of a finger, once a week? Did I seriously pay money for this?? :lol:

#11 jeremy

jeremy

Great Contributor

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

Well I'll see how it goes when she practices on me. Ill report back either way.

Thanks for the opinions

#12 Emulated Puppet}eer

Emulated Puppet}eer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users